Cheeky foal

ottodyl1

Visit site
Just wondered if any experts out there had any good advice re cheeky foals. My colt foal is a week old and is already v bold & cheeky. He has started coming at us in the field & boxing. I have known & worked with cheeky colts before but not at this early stage! Mare & foal are stabled at night so he is being handled daily. He is already eating grass and hay and dunking his nose right under the water in the trough! I have started leading him with a foal slip & picking up his feet, which are both going well. However, I'd just like him to learn a bit more respect for space without me having to be too harsh. I've tried flicking the rope towards him & waving my arms but he seems to have no fear about anything.
Do you think I should carry on handling him as much as I have or do you think this is just making him over-familiar?
Although I've worked with mares & youngstock in the past the mares generally foaled away at stud & the foals if anything were more nervous when they came home. This is the first foal I've bred myself so I'd appreciate some advice please!!!

air78

www.ctwequine.com
If he's accepted leading and having his feet picked up, I'd be inclined to back off and leave him at grass if possible........ I think your gut feeling is right, there's nothing worse than over handled/ over confident youngster!