Cheerios 2nd day a big school- Merrist Wood indoor HDT

rara007

Visit site
Thankfully the day was saved by Ester being able to come and groom as a slight mishap on the dates left me a bit depleted of helpers! Indoors follows the same 3 phases as outdoors with slight differences.
First up is dressage- indoors called precision and paces- you have 2 judges, one judging each of those things. Despite his greenness he is quite a schooling geek and life is all so relaxed there's no risk of tension creeping in. Never the less very pleased with a score of 26 (same as BE non FEI scoring- so 74%) putting us ahead of many established open and international ponies! He got consistent 8s for his working, a 6 for the rein back which I was actually pleased with as he did come back straight and even, he's just not quite got the confidence to do it straight and quickly yet- the carriage has a turntable obviously so the slightest bit of uneven back 'push' and you twist. Pleased with a 7 and a 7.5 for his mediums as we have been drilling those and he gave me nice one handed workings for 7.5s.

Onto the cones which is again like outdoors but with marathon track width and an optimum time without any window either way. The cones is held on what tbh seems like a car park... it's sort of a compacted gravel surface, (very compact, you wouldn't ride on it) complete with puddles. He found it all mighty confusing the first time and between us we dropped 4- expensive at 5pen a ball. Again we've been drilling ourselves on them so relieved to find out I can still drive a course by getting a clear. 7 seconds too slow but that's partly as the ground is so firm I'm not cantering him at all and partly because we took very safe wide lines.

This left us surprisingly in a class of 17 competitive open ponies (including a number of team GBR competitors) in 3rd going into the obstacles. We knew we would lose our placing in that as it simply takes time to develop their speed and turning if they're not a natural speed freak (which by far he is not) and we're in it for the long haul so tried to play safe with our routes giving him the space to canter the lot. You do 2 hazards, twice. Both times he really tried! He was between 11 and 8 seconds (improving 1-4) off the fastest opens times and where I gave him a chance, maintained a nice canter. He still finds it all a little odd but he's enjoying it!

This dropped us down to 11th but I couldn't have asked or expected more from him. He's just such a goody 2 shoes :p Big thanks to Ester as we were up at the crack of dawn (before actually) as 9.30 dressage is early when it's 2 hours away and you have carriages to unload!

23794760_10159503965800648_8163775718501512443_n.jpg

23755298_10159503967650648_3443337328400082865_n.jpg

23722299_10159501395360648_3969304924947186122_n.jpg

23755208_10159503968480648_980166927842632602_n.jpg

waiting for our turn watching the others- the oats haven't got to his head yet :p

22308768_10159501395490648_33513919138701399_n.jpg

23754833_10159501395275648_7142826991343531736_n.jpg

Onwards and upwards :) Next outing for him is the same again on 10th december, whilst under the surface I'm trying to find a clone of him to pair up! (Actually, anything 131cm-135cm with OK paces and a good brain in it..)

If I hear one more person excuse their ponies poor manners on it having been entire to 3/4/6/15 and poor education on the fact it was driven....

Reacher

Visit site
Well done, pony looks a pocket rocket! I'm both confused and intrigued by the idea of dressage with a carriage!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Really well done. Am not at all far from M.Wood, so if there again, let me know and will pop over to watch or help if needed x
Great photos :cool3:
(I used to drive yrs ago and am now starting off one of my tinies)

Leo Walker

Visit site
If I hear one more person excuse their ponies poor manners on it having been entire to 3/4/6/15 and poor education on the fact it was driven....

I've already seen this, but well done! :biggrin3:

Mine was entire and a covering driving stallion until he was 10. Everyone is always surprised when I tell them as hes such a polite, well mannered pony and goes surprisingly well under saddle for something thats only been ridden 3 times a week for a couple of months. I'm hoping hes fit enough to do the January one at Morteon Morrell, but definitely not making concrete plans just yet!

Leo Walker

Visit site
Really well done. Am not at all far from M.Wood, so if there again, let me know and will pop over to watch or help if needed x

I'm a couple of hours away but let me know if you are all having a meet up and I'll trek over.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Reacher same as ridden, though you don't canter until top level, and you have to do some movements one handed (this test had a 10m loop in from the track one handed- I think that's what it was anyway ;) ).

Cheeri was a very good boy but I think the driver should take some credit to given that he only really started doing it properly 3 months ago and because driving goes with the driver not horse levels he is straight in at open level, no novice or intermediate! Sometimes, as more of a rider it still amazes me the level of adjustability etc they will give you driven.

It was only my third time on the back, first time with him though we know each other quite well, so I'm pleased we all stayed on and upright :D.

AFB

Visit site
He's a stunner! Really interesting report, nice little peek into a world I've never ventured in to

Reacher

Visit site
Reacher same as ridden, though you don't canter until top level, and you have to do some movements one handed (this test had a 10m loop in from the track one handed- I think that's what it was anyway ;) ).

Cheeri was a very good boy but I think the driver should take some credit to given that he only really started doing it properly 3 months ago and because driving goes with the driver not horse levels he is straight in at open level, no novice or intermediate! Sometimes, as more of a rider it still amazes me the level of adjustability etc they will give you driven.

It was only my third time on the back, first time with him though we know each other quite well, so I'm pleased we all stayed on and upright :D.

Ester thanks for the explanation, very interesting

rara007

Visit site
Well done, pony looks a pocket rocket! I'm both confused and intrigued by the idea of dressage with a carriage!

https://youtu.be/VBBSkl0tamk Here’s a video of the FEI/advanced test! But yes Ester has it right- exactly the same as ridden with a different distribution of movements.

PN- walk trot halt medium trot rein back
N- as above plus collected trot on a circle, progressive extensions and simple 1 handed
I- marker to marker extensions, more complex 1 handed and collection
O- both medium and extension in the same test, introducing canter
A- as above but circles down to 10m introducing lateral work and medium canter, the rein backs are up to 4m

Slightly different progression with multiples as they don’t canter.

This is the test I’m aiming towards as it’s the national advanced test though we then get to step down to the 2* test to qualify!

http://www.britishcarriagedriving.co.uk/reference/dressage_tests/FEI_test_3_star_B_HP1.pdf

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
That was a brilliant read, thanks for doing the report. He looks like a little star - love the look of quiet concentration he has on his face.
Massive well done achieving so much with him already, I bet you're fired up for the next one now...:D

madamebonnie

Visit site
Wow love your pony! I am in awe of anyone who can get their horse to do something without being sat on them!

I have so much respect for the carriage driving since having a lesson with my cousins in SA with Rodney Forster. Slightly bigger ponies (friesians) and very well trained being his top competition horses, it was incredible to drive them and think about their way of going not being on top. Driving a shoulder-in is something I will never forget!

1157614_10151600816783831_952154413_n.jpg

rara007

Visit site

We’re back 10th Dec :) Quite self sufficient when I’ve nabbed a helper (Dad next time!) but support always appreciated! Dressage tends to run until around 12.30, with cones at the same time outside, with the obstacles following on from about 1.30