Cheltenham Gag cheekpieces....help!

tractor

Visit site
Hi,

Just a quick question....I need new cheekpieces for Cobby's cheltenham gag, local tack shop sells them separetely to the mouthpiece.....how on earth do you get them on?! Or, for that matter, get the old ones off?!! Is it possible?!

Thanks!! xx

tractor

Visit site
They're the rolled ones, so buckle at one end, which the headpiece attaches to, then the rolled bit, then the bit, then the ring which the reins attach to at the other end.

I'm sure the tack shop will help, just wanted to see if anyone knew the answer on here so I didn't look like a total retard :-D ...also it's one of those things that must have an answer otherwise they wouldn't sell them separately.....??

black_n_white

Visit site
Or if you get rope ones you just take the rein ring off, thread the rope through the bit ring, then loop the ring back on- it's a bit like one of those cracker puzzles!

charliehands

Visit site
Do you use leather or nylon cheeks? I ask as I have a cheltenham gag on order for my tank of a mare that I would like some breaks for and I've ordered nylon cheeks but since I ordered it I have been told by a friend that they rub the horses face and was just wondering if you have had this problem?

tractor

Visit site
I use leather cheeks. There used to be a horse out hunting that had nylon cheeks though, they didn't rub him. I suppose it depends how sensitive your horses skin is....

Went to the tack shop this morning, got some of the screw ones for £16...bargain!! DIY bit repair tonight then.....

Thank for your help everyone!