Cheltenham Sir Eric...poor horse

sportsmansB

Visit site
I am so torn on this.
I have a lot of friends involved in racing (mainly NH and pointing) and I have had many a good day out at the races. But my heart breaks when the screens come up, knowing that one of those horses won't be coming home.
I DO feel that by the time we are watching those horses on telly, they must have demonstrated an enjoyment of it or they simply wouldn't have got as far as that meeting- several horses just don't want to race.
I don't like to see jockeys whipping a tired horse to the line, and thats one area that I think could be improved.
I keep my horse at a professional yard which probably averages 60 horses through it per year. We've lost 4 in the last 4 years - one broke its back out hunting, one slipped coming off the walker and broke its pelvis, one was my mare who just dropped in the field, and one got a kick from another horse on the gallops and fractured a leg. They were all as a result of us riding them and not keeping them out on the field 24/7 like nature intended, so is it all wrong? They had happy lives and wouldn't have been alive if it wasn't to serve our interests - so where does the fluffy bunny stuff stop?!

Equine_Dream

Visit site
My biggest issue with those who cry for a ban on racing is that they have clearly not thought it through. It seems the reason behind most, in my experience anyway, is the fact horses are killed in racing.
My issue is that if we ban racing what happens to the tens of thousands of racehorses that are currently in training? Some can be rehomed but I doubt there are enough experienced homes for all of them. There would be many that would end up being PTS and how exactly is that better than an accident on the course? The outcome is the same.
Racing is far from perfect and it is awful when I horse is injured and needs to be pts but horses die everyday. In eventing, hunting, hacking, some just having a loon around in their fields. Are we going to ban all of them?

WandaMare

Visit site
I wouldn't 'cry for a ban', I know some people will do, but I don't think turning a blind eye and deriding those who present a challenge is the right way either. I'm sure there will be a lot of analysis and review of what happened last week, by the Cheltenham organisers and the HRA and hopefully further improvements will be identified which will continue to move things in the right direction.

Horses do die in lots of different situations but the difference with racing and other horses sports is that people are paying money to watch them. If they are not kept happy, some of them will likely stop coming which is why its important to keep up with public perception and be seen to respond constructively when things go wrong.

bonny

Visit site
I wouldn't 'cry for a ban', I know some people will do, but I don't think turning a blind eye and deriding those who present a challenge is the right way either. I'm sure there will be a lot of analysis and review of what happened last week, by the Cheltenham organisers and the HRA and hopefully further improvements will be identified which will continue to move things in the right direction.

Horses do die in lots of different situations but the difference with racing and other horses sports is that people are paying money to watch them. If they are not kept happy, some of them will likely stop coming which is why its important to keep up with public perception and be seen to respond constructively when things go wrong.
That’s exactly what is happening though, there are endless reviews, endless changes, I honestly don’t think anything else can change to make things safer. Either racing continues or it doesn’t, twice a year, at Cheltenham and aintree there is this debate as far as I can see on here by a lot of people who don’t even see what changes there have been.

Equine_Dream

Visit site

As I say racing is far from perfect and there are still areas that can be improved. I don't have an issue with people who point these areas out. I do however think it's a bit strange when those who are outraged by the death of racehorses call for a ban, as banning racing would result in a good deal more horses being PTS.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I honestly don’t think anything else can change to make things safer.

The BHA have new padded hurdles in test at six race courses this year, and another new design in prorotype testing which is reckoned to be even safer still.