Cheshire Show Novice Cob

DressageCob

Visit site
Hello!

I'm competing at the Cheshire Show for the first time this year. I am unsure as to what happens in the class and wondered if anyone could help. Is the entire class done en masse, so everyone walking, trotting and cantering together? Or do we have to do an individual bit at any point?

Also, is it usual to have a groom on foot?

Sorry for the complete ignorance! I have watched the class before but can't remember exactly how it went.

Thanks!

humblepie

Visit site
Yes it will be walk trot canter on right rein then change of rein canter then gallop on left rein as whole class and then called into place order line up. Judge will ride. Then strip saddle off for conformation judge. If big class they will sometimes start conformation judging from bottom end whilst ride judge starts at top end. You should have a groom but I have competed county level on my own and someone will help. Just means you can't brush off for conformation judge. Am sure you know but make sure your stirrup leathers will go long enough for tall judge or short enough for short judge. Good luck.

DressageCob

Visit site
Thank you humblepie! Much appreciated. I thought that's what it was, but I know in some classes people have to do a separate "show" with figures of 8 and things which is why I thought I'd check.

I have someone willing to be a groom so I will be ok. I had forgotten about the saddle off bit. The stirrup leathers is a good tip.

Thanks again!

emfen1305

Visit site
Thank you humblepie! Much appreciated. I thought that's what it was, but I know in some classes people have to do a separate "show" with figures of 8 and things which is why I thought I'd check.

I have someone willing to be a groom so I will be ok. I had forgotten about the saddle off bit. The stirrup leathers is a good tip.

Thanks again!

Good luck! I would love to compete there on my cob one day but fairly sure he would kill me so I'll just be there as a spectator for now!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Good luck! I've groomed for a friend in the cob class at Cheshire Show, it was great fun.

The ride judge was p1ssed as a f@rt though, the stewards had their work cut out to make sure that he landed in the saddle when they legged him up :D!

DressageCob

Visit site
Thank you for the tips! I'm not expecting to come anywhere...I noticed a lot of big names were in it last year and the year before. I just want to go and have a good time, have a good experience and do my best!

Luckily the horse is used to strangers getting on. Leg ups may need more work.

Thanks again :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Lady ride judge who rides nicely, make sure your cob is in front of the leg for this judge. Enjoy the day and good luck.

abbijay

Visit site
Lady ride judge who rides nicely, make sure your cob is in front of the leg for this judge. Enjoy the day and good luck.

AA, I don't suppose you know much about other judges at the show do you? T. Southern is doing the Ridden Heavy and all this ride judge malarkey is still quite new to us cart horses!

mcnaughty

Visit site
Take a look at the Equinational and ES Photograph for turnout tips! You do not want to stand out for all the wrong reasons at a County Show! Smile and have fun - defo will be tough competition!

DressageCob

Visit site
Speaking of not standing out, the only riding boots I have are dressage boots (Sarm Hippiques) Should I buy the flat topped boots with garter strap or can I get away with my boots?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Speaking of not standing out, the only riding boots I have are dressage boots (Sarm Hippiques) Should I buy the flat topped boots with garter strap or can I get away with my boots?

Noooooooooooooooo - dressage kinky boots in showing cobs or hunters !!

Borrow a pair of proper boots.

abbijay

Visit site
Hunter judge, rides beautifully.

Thank you! I can now expect one of those embarrassing moments when the judge does a better job with my horse than I do... We tend to do better with the not great riders as the poor boy has to put with me, is ex-trekking centre and is generally very tolerant!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Here you go, cob turn out, this was just local level on Monday, ignore the bay she was just out to wind the judge up, and not a show cob hence not being hogged, but the grey is correctly turned out for County level ridden by a lady which I assume the OP is. They grey was out schooling for County level classes next month.

If the OP is male, then the turn out of the rider on the bay is correct with the exception of no garter straps.

MAKE SURE YOU READ THE RULES FOR HATS. Bowlers and Pateys are not allowed by some societies and show grounds.

DSCF4365_zpsoil3foil.jpg

jnb

Visit site
This judge will want a good gallop from my experience, with a mannerly pull up (tbh that's what ANY Hunter judge will want) - I have been rewarded in the past as my horses piece de resistance was his gallop.

DressageCob

Visit site
Here you go, cob turn out, this was just local level on Monday, ignore the bay she was just out to wind the judge up, and not a show cob hence not being hogged, but the grey is correctly turned out for County level ridden by a lady which I assume the OP is. They grey was out schooling for County level classes next month.

If the OP is male, then the turn out of the rider on the bay is correct with the exception of no garter straps.

MAKE SURE YOU READ THE RULES FOR HATS. Bowlers and Pateys are not allowed by some societies and show grounds.

DSCF4365_zpsoil3foil.jpg

That's very helpful, thank you.

I'm thinking I have all necessary equipment and outfit now I've ordered some less dressagy boots! chin straps are needed on hats so I'm going to use my Fiona.

I'm hoping to do a warm up show beforehand (all being well).

I've been practising the gallop so hopefully it is adequately installed. The brakes are great but he prefers a rhythmical canter so getting him to open up was hard but I think it's there now :)

Thanks again for your help!

mcnaughty

Visit site
This judge will want a good gallop from my experience, with a mannerly pull up (tbh that's what ANY Hunter judge will want) - I have been rewarded in the past as my horses piece de resistance was his gallop.

Yes definitely!! You can easily win a class with a good gallop!

DressageCob

Visit site
Depending on show or governing body Fiona hats are no longer allowed/legal

Thank you - I've just double checked and I was wrong about the hat rule. They only need to meet the standards if aged 15-17. Us oldies can wear other hats with or without a chin strap. I will wear my Fiona but perhaps take a spare hat just in case! Thanks for the warning :)

DressageCob

Visit site
Thank you all for your help. I will let you know how we get on. So long as I stay on and we don't embarrass ourselves I'm happy :D And chance of embarrassment has reduced now thanks to all your help.

KautoStar1

Visit site
Yes definitely!! You can easily win a class with a good gallop!

I'm not sure Novice classes are required to gallop.
Worth practicing it but don't be surprised if you are not asked to gallop.

Have fun. Cheshire is my local show. It is literally down the road yet I've still never ridden there.

Visit site
I'm not sure Novice classes are required to gallop.
Worth practicing it but don't be surprised if you are not asked to gallop.

Have fun. Cheshire is my local show. It is literally down the road yet I've still never ridden there.

All Cob, Hunter and Riding Horse classes - Novice or Open are required to extend.