Chester tripping

JadeWisc

Visit site
I was riding Chester down the road 3 days ago when he out of nowhere stumbled and fell right to his knees (skinning both of them) No swelling or blood, no lameness or soreness that was obvious. At any rate, the next day I was leading him on soft dirt and he did the same thing again? right down to his knees ! I have never seen this happen to him before. I would not have been worried, but the fact that it happened 2 times in 24 hours makes me wonder what could be going on......any ideas, or am I just being paranoid.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Is he due to be re-shod anytime soon?

I had this happen before my horse was last shod. I think his feet had been left too long and within a couple of weeks he was stumbling. Ended up having the farrier (different one as I'd moved house) only 4 weeks after they were done. He cut them shorter and he hasn't stumbled since.

JadeWisc

Visit site
Chester is barefoot and is trimmed on an every 8 weeks schedule...he is not due for 3 more weeks....his feet are in really good condition right now and he is not looking long at all. ???????????? Not sure what else it could be. Thank you so much for your reply though as that would make sense if it were the case.

hunteress

Visit site
Feet are growing at the moment like billy ho I have my boy shod every 6 weeks 8 weeks seems long time my boy would be falling over his own feet if I left him that long ask your farrier for advice.

JadeWisc

Visit site
when you say 6 weeks are you meaning "shod" in that respect 5 to 6 weeks is correct (not sure how you could go 6 to eight if your horse has shoes on). Chester is barefoot as stated above and his feet grow slowly anyway. The normal shedule for trims on a barefoot horse is approx 8 weeks in the summer and even as long as 10 weeks in the winter . His feet are in excellent condition and in no way overgrown. he is on the same schedule as he has been for 2 and a half years now. I even had the farrier laugh at me before because there has been so little to clean up on him when he has arrived.But thank you for the advice.