Chestnut mare true or myth???

horsestar

Visit site
Never had one before but I recently bought one after not being keen on viewing her found myself falling in love! And she's not marsh nasty or showing any signs of a typical chestnut mare so in my opinionyth busted!!! Lol anyone else got a gudden?

Tinypony

Visit site
Was at a Mark Rashid clinic recently, he said it's a very British thing. Thinks we're completely mad. Says we're the only country that comes out with so much c r a p. (He didn't actually say that, but I think that's what he meant!).

jools123

Visit site
my kids first and second ponies were both chestnut mares and fantastic my eldest now has a red and white mare she is great too

Angelbones

Visit site
Love them! I had 2 as a child and my daughter's first ridden was just the most fantastic ginger girlie (I sold her and 2 years later I got her back as I loved her so much!) and the new pony is also a ginger girlie. I don't find them much different from any other mare (or gelding in fact). My two are particularly calm and uncomplicated, and not what I'd call mareish by any stretch. I'm looking for a horse for myself now and would love to find a bigger version so I can have a full on matching set :D

oscarwild

Visit site
Yeah I have a chestnut tb mare and again she hasnt shown any signs of being a chestnut mare let alone a tb. She is amazing, quiet and will do what ever you ask her too without any hassle what so ever. She wasnt what I went looking for but I wouldnt be without her :)

Madam Min

Visit site
Dont believe it myself and I hope I continue to hold this view point as my OH has just started bringing on a 4 year old chesnut mare for someone else :D

hoggedmane

Visit site
My second pony was a chestnut mare and was amazing. We won everything from jumping to dressage and gymkhana games, family pony handy pony etc. She won many veteran classes when she got older. She was used by the RDA who loved her as she was big enough for their big kids and she was very good with them. She could be a bit mad and she never walked a step on sponsored rides but was the most fun enthusiastic horse I have ever come across. I have a larger reincarnation of her now although in black.
At 23 she won the riding club cup for the horse with most points for the year. She was never lame. I would love another one like her.

pogface

Visit site
My YO has a beautiful ginge mare and she is a very sweet and loving mare. Beware beware the chestnut mare = utter rubbish!!

Sarah Sum1

Visit site
My chestnut mare used to be a bit of a stroppy moo. But so was the bay mare I used to ride. She also used to be very sweet at times and was so much fun. So I don't believe it. :)

pintoarabian

Visit site
Complete myth as far as I am concerned. Have had a few chestnut Arabian mares and all have had fantastic temperaments, very gentle, intelligent and willing-to-please. IMO, it's people who cause most of the problems with any horse, no matter what colour or breed it is.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Was at a Mark Rashid clinic recently, he said it's a very British thing. Thinks we're completely mad. Says we're the only country that comes out with so much c r a p. (He didn't actually say that, but I think that's what he meant!).

:D :cool: :D

When people go on about chestnut mares in a negative way, I used to get really upset, but now I just tell them that they are idiots. :eek: :p