Chewing lead ropes and haynets, any tips please

gailt

Visit site
My lad is 18mths old now and insists that when being led he holds the lead rope in his mouth, sometimes chewing it...he also destroys haynets by chewing them...Ive tried yanking the rope and telling him no, i ve tried waveing the rope at him...its just so annoying, i put a bit in his mouth but he still insists on grabbing whatever he is being led with ...any suggestions i can try? its almost like its a dummy?...

beh

Visit site
my horse chews his leadrope but not that badly
smile.gif
maybe you could try rubbing something disguisting i.e onion or mustard on his leadrope or something?

vivhewe

Visit site
Dog chew stop spray - it tastes bloody awful but doesn't discolour or make your things sticky.

Just wear gloves when you touch anything with it on otherwise you'll inadvertently taste it, and spend the rest of the day with your face screwed up because of the tase
wink.gif
crazy.gif
grin.gif

filly190

Visit site
I would drop the haynets and just put the hay on the floor, otherwise you may have a nasty accident. Loads of young horses will have a chew of things and they usually grow out of it.

I have'nt bothered telling them off for it, I just get the rope back and ignore it. When tied up, it's not such a bad thing as they are distracted and happy to be tied up, so if you take it away, they may find something else.

mitchellk

Visit site
My seven yr old IDx likes to hold the rope in his mouth still although doesn't chew haynet he is a serial wood chewer as well. If he gets bored in field or stable he chews the fencing and the door frame- pest! Think its best to nip it on the bud asap. agree with filly190 about haynets if he chew through the twine he could easily get tangled up in it and have a nasty accident.

gailt

Visit site
at least ive got a few things to try, i thought about doing away with his haynets for now..i had to go to a small hole net as he was just pulling it out and throwing it around, but if i put the hay on the floor maybe he wont be as bothered to throw it around...thanks guys

Patches

Visit site
My Section B yearling is the same age and he does it now too. Wants to take everything in his mouth from leadropes and feed tubs to my hair and coat!

I'm assuming it's a faze he's going through..perhaps even teething?

He's got an old rubber wellington in his stable which he loves. Apart from that I do try and ignore it as I'm sure it's just a baby thing.

debonhorse

Visit site
My 5 year old used to chew her haynet I bought one of those haybags Its brill!!! Now I dont have all her hay which I started feeding on the floor trampled into her bed and not eaten.
Perhaps you should try a haybag, bought mine from new rider catalogue. definately reccommend great for trailers /shows too.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Typical baby. Remove the haynet, and feed off the floor or rack. As for the leadrope, simply remove it from his mouth, and hold the rope properly. He can't get it in his mouth then.
tongue.gif

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
hes 18mths old and is changing his teeth hes teething -- thats all will stop once 2yr old teeth change but teeth change up ontil 7 as fronts cahnge then backs -- and in btween tusks /cannines grow5-7

amandaco2

Visit site
put something horrible tasting on the rope like that stuff to stop nail chewing. feed hay from the floor or a manager esp for yougsters as they can swallow bits of haynet and get tangled up in them.