Chewing Tails - Help Remedy Needed.

rocketdog69

Visit site
Help

I noticed that my Andalusians tail was getting a bit thin but didnt take much notice as he has sweet-itch and I thought he'd just rubbed it.

When I went for my first lesson for 6 months yesterday on my show cob, my instructor said "Who is chewing his tail". I looked and realised his was getting thin too.

The culprit is most likely my rising 2 yr old colt, either that or its his companion my donkey.

What I suppose I'm asking is does anyone know what I can put on my boys tails to stop them being chewed.

A pal has already suggested cribox. Has anyone got any other ideas.

I am not in a position to separate them!

johnskiff

Visit site
Can you not cover the whole tail with a tail bag, I'd be worried about putting any chemical directly on to his tail yuo can't be sure what damage it might do.

Cheers John.

Archangel

Visit site
I had a problem with sheep eating my horse's tail and used 'bitter beak' (for budgies that eat their feathers). It needed daily application though. The little devils literally grazed it off to just below the dock - in a straight line of course, you can imagine what he looked like.

rocketdog69

Visit site
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.

I'll certainly be giving them a go.

Having thought a bit more about it this morning, due to the fact that donkey has no mane and 2 year old colt has more mane and tail than a whole herd of horses, I guess he's the culprit!

amiacat

Visit site
There is a cribox type spray (it may even be called that, can't remember) but it also says on the label that it can be used for tails to stop them being chewed. My horse had his tail chewed by his field mate and this seemed to work.