Chickens!!!

NoltonSeaShell

Visit site
Not really a horsey thing... But I really want to rehome some ex-battery hens in my field. Obviously buy then a coop... Run etc. Anyone think this is a good/bad idea? Just be nice to give them a lovely new home!

rhino

Visit site
Chickens are very rewarding to keep, ex battery hens can be fab :) You do need to make sure that your coop and run are as fox/badger proof as possible. Would you plan on having them free range (in the field) during the day or just in the run?

We took a few in every now and again at work, they always adjusted quickly and got on with our 'pedigree' chickens fine :)

NoltonSeaShell

Visit site
Probably just in a run, quite a few foxes up by us, killed a load of our ducks years ago in the day so I wouldn't feel safe leaving them out all day. Could I leave them out of the run when I'm up there to keep an eye?

Would love to do it, just need a think to plan it all out as I seem to be over run with animals ATM :D

rhino

Visit site
Probably just in a run, quite a few foxes up by us, killed a load of our ducks years ago in the day so I wouldn't feel safe leaving them out all day. Could I leave them out of the run when I'm up there to keep an eye?

Would love to do it, just need a think to plan it all out as I seem to be over run with animals ATM :D

Yeah that would work :) We always found using electric fencing in addition to a decent run kept all but the most determined of predators at bay :D There are quite often cheap/free runs advertised in local free-ads/preloved type sites, unless you are talented at DIY!

Nosey

Visit site
Go for it! Have just adopted 3 ex bats. Was amazed that they laid the very next day they were collected & every day since no less than 2 eggs. Was lead to believe it wld take at least 2/3 mths till they laid as wld be adjusting to totally diff environment & growing their feathers. Check out battery hen welfare trust...all info on there! Good luck.

ameeyal

Visit site
Are they at your home, as in the summer they will need locking away at night about 9o clock, im persuming you will be locking them up for the night?

Newlands

Visit site
We have 2 chickens in our garden and they are hilarious to watch the eggs are an added bonus. They are not ex bat hens but I would like some in the future. Ours have the run of the garden by day then they tuck themselves up in bed when they have had enough and then we shut them in for the night.

Archangel

Visit site
My oldest ex batt was 12 when she died and laid eggs until she was 11. She was hilarious.

My run was like Fort Knox, with layered chicken wire (like a long skirt) round the run on the ground pegged in and electric fence at snout height. Badgers are quite clever at taking chickens. I also covered a bit of the run so they had a dry bit. Mine slept in the nest boxes at night (rather than on their perches) so I put an old turnout on the boxes to keep them warm.

When out of the run they will be into everything, digging up plants, falling in the pond, getting in the car, chasing the cat but well worth it.

One of mine had to go to the vet and she sat in the surgery on the seat next to me. Perfectly well behaved. When the vet came out and called her name she jumped off an ran to him :)

Mealworms, pears and pomegranates go down very well with the chicks.

There is quite a high mortality rate with ex batts, a couple of mine died in the first year, they were just exhausted.

So yes get the chickens :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
my friend has them they are great fun and it was so nice seeing them learning to be hens. But one thing to beware one of her horses was very allergic it the feathers I think or mites on the feathers ??? Not sure got it cleared up and has to be really careful to dust the hens with powder I think might have that wrong.
I would like some but my OH put his foot down and said no perhaps because he has been round my friends and seen them knock on the kitchen window in the morning so they can come in for cornflakes .

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
We took on six ex-battery hens last autumn. They were fab, and gave us at least five eggs a day from day one. Ours have a run behind the stables, with the fencing dug down into the ground and an underground board too - to stop digging. We keep them in this all the time. Its a big run, the fencing is about 6' high, and they have been fine there. We lost one after six months, and another after a year, so last month took on six more, bringing the total to ten.

There are so many hens needing homes at the moment - the law has just changed re cages, so many battery farms would have culled ALL their hens last week - so the rescues have been really busy.. You normally donate £3 up for each hen to the rescue.

Go to www.bhwt.co.uk or if you are in the NW, Lucky Hens Rescue have loads that want homes (they have a facebook page which is full of help and advice - sensible not over the top).

Ps. Touchwood we haven't had a mite problem. I louse powder and mite powder the whole coop every month..