chicks!

Leo Walker

Visit site
In amongst all the misery a very kind lady posted me some hatching eggs and last night and this morning I've had 4 little peeps hatch. 3 naked necks and a random silkie who must have snuck in by mistake. I let my broodie hen hatch these rather than the incubator as hatch rates with posted eggs can be low, so I'm thrilled with 4 hatching. I've left her with the other 2 eggs as shes still sitting but I'll take them away tomorrow if nothings hatched. They've all been moved into the maternity wing and are up and eating. No matter how many times I do this it still seems magical to me! Mum is very proud of them and purring with happiness.

In the nest box

59956274_10156501079918667_2824163635339722752_n.jpg

Checking out their bedroom in the maternity wing

60336254_10156501079973667_6360239128151326720_n.jpg

60060110_10156501080193667_7834067321961316352_n.jpg

57471852_10156501079703667_3647700644862623744_n.jpg

2 look to be proper naked necks and 1 is a silkie x naked neck and 1 is the a bonus silkie. Theres a 50/50 chance of frizzle as well so I'm looking forward to seeing them develop and hoping for at least 1 hen!

Clodagh

Visit site
I'd love to do this and have a broody hen at the moment but *whispers* what will you do with any cockerels??

I cannot answer for LW but I cull all of mine. I have 23 waiting to go at the moment, I hate it, but they have had a lovely life and go to a friend who has birds of prey.

Leo Walker

Visit site
If the naked necks are boys i have a home lined up for one already. I have been very lucky and not yet had to cull anything in probably over 60 hatched, I did sell a lot on at a few days old last year. A hatch of 12 pekins and all boys! This will probably be my only hatch this year though, I hate selling them on and you just cant keep them all.

Its inevitable I will at some point have to cull a boy. I tip the balance in my favour by hatching specific breeds and breeds that are in demand. I could rehome a pretty little silkie cockerel ten times over. A mixed breed commercial egg layer, not a chance! The little cross bred one will end up being culled if its a cockerel unless its extremely fancy looking, as there just isnt the call for them. There is a shortage of bantam naked necks though and people are actively looking for boys so they will rehome easily. Like clodagh I will hate culling, but they have a brilliant life here, tons of space, the best food, lots of treats and enrichment etc. The alternative is to run them through a poultry auction and I absolutely refuse to do that as you just dont know where they end up.

Leo Walker

Visit site
These little guys are growing up so quick. I got mum some live meal worms today to build her up after sitting. I didnt expect the chicks to be interested. They went mad! Playing tug of war with them and running round chasing each other, stuffing as many in as they could. I was in hysterics. i can definitely recommend chicks if you need cheering up!

Clodagh

Visit site
If the naked necks are boys i have a home lined up for one already. I have been very lucky and not yet had to cull anything in probably over 60 hatched, I did sell a lot on at a few days old last year. A hatch of 12 pekins and all boys! This will probably be my only hatch this year though, I hate selling them on and you just cant keep them all.

Its inevitable I will at some point have to cull a boy. I tip the balance in my favour by hatching specific breeds and breeds that are in demand. I could rehome a pretty little silkie cockerel ten times over. A mixed breed commercial egg layer, not a chance! The little cross bred one will end up being culled if its a cockerel unless its extremely fancy looking, as there just isnt the call for them. There is a shortage of bantam naked necks though and people are actively looking for boys so they will rehome easily. Like clodagh I will hate culling, but they have a brilliant life here, tons of space, the best food, lots of treats and enrichment etc. The alternative is to run them through a poultry auction and I absolutely refuse to do that as you just dont know where they end up.

I can't bear all those 'FTGH - not for the pot' ads for random crosses. I am working on a porcelain wyandotte so there is a lot of wastage at this generation. I can rehome the pullets as garden hens but the boys are not much use genetically to anyone else and I don't tend to like how the mass producers of eggs for eBay and auctions keep their birds.
Exciting news though - as here is my first one. Not as exciting as when I hatch my own from pure English type (fingers crossed next year) but a definite asset to the programme.

Leo Walker

Visit site
thats pretty cool! I just bought my friend 3 wynadottes for her birthday, but they are just the ordinary black ones. I like anything weird. Showgirls and naked necks are definitely my thing though!

Clodagh

Visit site
thats pretty cool! I just bought my friend 3 wynadottes for her birthday, but they are just the ordinary black ones. I like anything weird. Showgirls and naked necks are definitely my thing though!

Now they are just too wierd! I do like silkie hens, but can't be doing with that tumour they call a comb on the boys. :)