chickweed

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
dunno where its come from but I seem to have a lot of it-have not had it the previous 5 years. best way to get rid? slightly alarmed at how quickly its spreading although we do seem to have reached peak summer growth rates despite it being baltic.

Shay

Visit site
Its common on poor ground. It capitalizes where grass cannot grow for some reason. But isn't poisionous to horses and in some cultures is prized as a medicine. If you really want to get rid of it you are going to have to embark on a several year cycle of pasture improvement to bring your grass back. I can't guess from your post why your ground has become so poor -but chickweed is not a strong competitor species. If grass species could grow - it wouldn't. On that basis I would guess - rest. Fertilize. Harrow. Re - sow. Top. Repeat. then put horses back.

Beausmate

Visit site
We've got loads of it at home. Absolutely nothing in the horses' field....... Can't think why? Must not be feeding the fat sods enough :p

oldie48

Visit site
I am over run with cleavers (sticky weed) in my garden and spent some time this afternoon getting it up. apparently it's good for horses and Rose ate a load of it. I think chick weed is also OK for horses so as long as you have enough grass growing, I wouldn't worry too much.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Its common on poor ground. It capitalizes where grass cannot grow for some reason. But isn't poisionous to horses and in some cultures is prized as a medicine. If you really want to get rid of it you are going to have to embark on a several year cycle of pasture improvement to bring your grass back. I can't guess from your post why your ground has become so poor -but chickweed is not a strong competitor species. If grass species could grow - it wouldn't. On that basis I would guess - rest. Fertilize. Harrow. Re - sow. Top. Repeat. then put horses back.

thanks-it is poor grazing land, the whole area is and I meant to muck spread last year but didn't for reasons. its Scottish gley so drainage is an issue but am careful to not let it get poached or overgrazed-its not had anything on it since last July. I still have plenty of grass just lots of this stuff all of a sudden! once the ponies move I will give it some TLC.

Nudibranch

Visit site
We have it under the trees, though it seems happy mixing in with some fairly lush grass too. I just pick it for the chickens/finches/rabbit and the horses will browse it too. Fertilising the hay field hasn't checked it, and the sheep aren't interested while the grass is growing.

Cleavers are supposed to be really nutritious as are nettles.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
At another field several years ago I had quite a lot of it under some beech trees-they didn't seem to eat it and it wasn't my field so wasn't too bothered. I only have very limited ground at home though so I wouldn't want it taking over.

SEL

Visit site
I get chickweed on the veg plot and that has horse poo on it every year - definitely not poor soil. Also had a lot of sticky weed growing. That gets fed to the Appy who loves it. Makes her think there's a big feed in her bucket!!