Chihuahua people

ribbons

Visit site
I am looking into getting a new dog. Have not had one for a year since my last oldie passed on.
I have always had whippets and have had much pleasure breeding and showing them over 30 odd years, and they are still very much part of the family as my daughter and her hubby have four.
I am however thinking I'd quite like a little dog now and i really am drawn to the chihuahua.
I don't know the breed and I am researching them but wondered if there were any chihuahua people here with any info.
I understand they are a big personality in a little body which suits me. I prefer smooth coat, its not hair that I object to, I just like the clean lines of a smooth coated dog. I also prefer a solid colour, and love a black dog, but I've been told it's not a popular colour and may prove difficult to find one. I did however once have a beautiful merle lurcher who was stunning and i've heard you can get merle chihuahuas but they can suffer problems related to this colouration.
Any advise or suggestions would be welcomed.

s4sugar

Visit site
First thing - merle is not an allowed colour in Chis & it comes in from a cross -probably with a dapple mini dachs.
It is popular with puppy farmers who don't care about the purity or paperwork.

Secondly -black is not a popular colour in the show ring but black puppies do turn up - often in blue bred litters as blue is a dilute of black so a blue crossed to a non dilute will produce black puppies.

They are big dogs in little bodies. UnaB on here is more up to date as it is thirty years since I showed a Chi. The breed has suffered from crappy breeders but good breeders are still around. Try the breed clubs ( and not the KC puppy lists).

Why not an Italian Greyhound? Easier to find in black and much more like a whippet?

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
I have a crappy bred chihuahua so not sure I am allowed to comment :rolleyes:

I've had mine since November, bought him as a 1 year old - felt sorry for him blah blah, wrong thing to do many would say etc.

So far I've found out they're a very one person dog although he loves my dad and my boyfriend. He has a HUGE personality sometimes a little too big :p he is actually very clever too, and learning lots of new tricks :) they do need to be walked though, well mine does anyway as has tons of energy. He is always out and about and usually goes for a 5 min walk/garden in morn, comes to yard goes for a 10 min run/hunting session, and the same in afternoon and dad normally takes him for a half hour walk at night.

I would post a pic but would get slated for not looking distinctly like a chihuahua :rolleyes:

Springy

Visit site
Hi

Chihuahuas buy a decent one took me 18 months to find a decent litter. I have a black one with white chest and paws they are tuxedo chi and found more in Spain, she has won many dog classes and usually wipes the board in the puppy and toy dog classes

She is a little gem.

The isnt good with other dogs who arent in the family and has little dog syndrome bit like a jack russell.

Just becareful you arent ripped off for a jack cross or anything.

2nd the merle thing dont touch a merle with a barge pole...

Ill post some pics of her.

Springy

Visit site
Rubys first ever rossette

20120701_160609_zps69718b42.jpg

Next to a whippet pup to give you a comparison

whip2_zps686f5786.jpg

Last edited:

ribbons

Visit site
Thanks for input everyone. Ruby is beautiful.
I used to foster for Italian greyhound rescue as well as whippet rescue, and did consider an IG but just thought I'd enjoy a change of type.
I'm in no rush, and by browsing the Internet have already discovered the chihuahua attracts a lot of dodgy breeders. Hundreds of puppies offered at quite high prices with no registration papers. In fact only a handful that I could find KC reg.
So yes, I will be treading very carefully and taking my time.
I have no wish to breed, but may enjoy a little showing, although primarily I am looking for a pet. I would however only consider a fully reg correctly bred pup so I think its just as well I'm in no hurry.
Thanks again for comments, particularly about the merle, I did wonder whether it was correct. A very attractive colour but had never heard of it in a pedigree dog other than a collie.
Isn't it always the downfall of any breed once it becomes very popular, the quick buck breeders flooding the market with poor quality.