Chilblains?!

natz

Visit site
Hey all,
Im an event groom and am on the yard from about 8am-5.30pm 5.5 days a week - obviously working outside means im out in all sorts of weather . . . . at the moment its blooming freezing and very wet!!!
frown.gif
frown.gif
Last winter i suffered from bad chilblains down the sides of my thighs/backs of my knees . . . pretty gross and hard to get rid of! Went to my Dr and apparently caused by being out in cold and wet for long periods of time . . I now wear layers and layers of thermal leggings under jods - and change at lunchtime if wet! I really really dont want to get them this year as im going to australia in feb and it would be awful if I have them as I will look hideous in shorts/bikini!!!!!
I used boots own chilblian cream last winter and also piled on 'double base' moisturiser (from Dr) - I have also found 'Balmosa' quite good.
If anyone can recommend any other creams/soloutions i would be sooo grateful!

Thankies in advance!

p.s sorry for the essay!!
tongue.gif

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I used to get those, the damned things itch and burn like mad. It's caused by your circulation being sluggish when riding out in cold temperatures. The layering idea should help, but there is something you can buy for sluggish leg veins, red clover or something like that in tablet form. Ask in Boots, they sell it and it should stop them altogether.

KateStartin

Visit site
I get them too! think they are a riders special. Have found prevention definitely better than cure, I wear padded overtrousers as soon as it gets cold ride out in them and everything, schooling is a bit harder but still better than chillblains.

pottamus

Visit site
Also don't try to warm yourself up too quickly if you get cold because that can bring them on too! I used to come in with freezing cold feet at night and stick them up against the hot radiator! Recipe for disaster...chilblains here I come...never done it since I can tell you!

bellgave

Visit site
over trousers are great, my old groom would wear layers of thermals, jhods then leather chaps to ride in. She also wore old ski pants when she wasnt riding, they are great as they keep out the wind and cold. BRRRRRR dont you hate winter!!!

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Echo what Tate says about the over trousers. They'll keep you dry and warm which is the key for preventing the damn things.

One thing to stress though. Seriously, buy over trousers instead of full chaps. They tend to be slightly more expensive but I soon found that while chaps protect your thighs you'll get the chilblains on your bum which hurts like hell! Mountain horse do a lovely pair of over trousers with a suade seat especially designed for riding in. I think they retail at about £90 which makes them not super cheap but its well worth it to avoid the chilblains.

Some of the more modern boots are getting fab at protecting feet these days if you happen to suffer with them there too.

Anyway! You arent alone. Its so easy to remember to layer your upper body clothing but forget your legs and jodhpurs really dont give that much protection for people prone to these.

ETS:- The mountain horse trousers I was thinking of were the Polar Breeches!
laugh.gif

k9h

Visit site
I use to get them down my right thigh on a old injury when horse dropped me in school & shredded thigh!? Never got them anywhere else?? Again dont warm up to quick & dont get in a bath untill you are fully warmed up. I use to scratch mine whilst asleep so not pretty & have slight scarring from them But putting meloline on at night soon stopped that!! Luckily I havent had them for 6 yrs but knowing my look will get them now.

BID

Visit site
I got these on my toes last winter and the only thing to get rid of them was Sudacream which Tesco's sell. Its great for a wide range of sores etc. Wouldn't be without it now.