Child’s pony, what would you do?

4faults

Visit site
I have a 12.2 welsh Section B mare that my 4 yo absolutely loves but cannot do anything with. She’s far too big for him, she is very spooky and sharp anyway and lately has become really really grumpy to the point where after 14 years of ownership she tried to bite me tonight.
I love her dearly but my son really wants to get stuck in and I can’t let him. He is able to do more with my 17.2 😂
I can’t turn her out because she’s prone to lami, I can’t loan her because it’s been a long time since she did any proper work. I’m at a loss as to what to do and where to go with her.
I can’t afford to get my son another pony and keep her but I would never sell her as she would end up being passed from pillar to post and I wouldn’t do that. She’s having bloods taken tomorrow in case there’s something physical going on but even if she’s fine I’m stuck as to what to do.

Anyone been in a similar situation? Any suggestions?

Moon River

Visit site
I had a pony that was far too sharp for 95% of kids that were the right size for him. I kept him in long retirement which was difficult because of the small pony lami issues, etc, as you say and had him put down when I could no longer manage him comfortably. You've kept her for a long time, you clearly feel she isn't right in some way and whatever you decide you will have done your best for her. For better or for worse life goes on and a new chapter looks like its starting with your little boy.

4faults

Visit site
Thanks L&M she is already basically retired, only does a few lead rein walk sessions a week. She had a negative cushings test this year when she had lami. I think I’m trying to wrap my head around the thought of pts but I’m not sure if I could go through with it

L&M

Visit site
I had to have my son's pony pts - it was horrid but like yours he was aged and prone to lami, and a retirement mainly kept in just didn't suit him.

Hugs xx

4faults

Visit site
Twiggy2- she’s always been sharp and spooky so that’s no change for her and although could always be a bit mareish, she’s never been actively nasty before in fact she’s always been quiet sweet and especially with me.

Thank you L&M, it’s not made any easier by the fact I think my 5yo gelding will need to be pts in the next week or so. I will have a serious conversation with the vet tomorrow and see where we end up

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
I agree with what’s been posted above.

The only thing I will add is, my old boy had 3 cushings tests that were all negative. My vet was convinced he had it though and we started him on half a prascend a day, and within around 10 days he was like a different horse.

4faults

Visit site
I agree with what’s been posted above.

The only thing I will add is, my old boy had 3 cushings tests that were all negative. My vet was convinced he had it though and we started him on half a prascend a day, and within around 10 days he was like a different horse.

Oh no it’s her second negative so thought it must have been right. I will mention it to the vet tomorrow. Tbh I don’t think I would medicate her long term, awful as it sounds she doesn’t have a job and she’s not exactly cheap to keep at the moment 🤦🏼‍♀️

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
That’s totally fair enough, just thought I’d mention it. Mac was only medicated for around 6 months, but he had other things going on as well so I said goodbye to him in November.

Am sure whatever you decide will be the right choice. Xx

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We had one that had a couple of 'normal' ACTH tests for Cushings but we weren't convinced, so we did the TRH stim test and she was 8x the maximum. Another ACTH test done at the same time was still normal. She only actually had Prascend for about 6 months and deteriorated so much that we pts. My Draft horse was on prascend for just over a year.

I certainly wouldn't argue against pts for your pony, if you think that's best.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
How capable was she when she was in work? Could she come back into work? If so you may be able to loan her? Obviously assuming she is fit and well. Some young kids are very good and utterly fearless riders!

pippixox

Visit site
Your pony sounds very similar to my friends. She did have cushings and laminitis. Despite medication she could not be turned out as so sensitive. A lot of management. Plus ok on the lead reign, but even then a bit sharp. Too small for adults and due to rotation from previous lami would not have wanted extra weight on her. My friend kept her going for years, and she did make woodchip turnout pen and get a mini Shetland to improve her quality of life. However, she was still often grumpy, getting stiff and continued to get bouts of lami. So one day she decided enough was enough. It was the best decision.

Of course PTS isn’t to be taken lightly. But sometimes you have to question quality of life, stuck in a stable on a constant diet. Almost certainly in pain causing their foul mood.

Sorry to hear about your 5 yo. Had to PtS my 7 year old a few weeks ago due to rare liver failure. It hurts when you had so many long term plans that can’t happen. Still have retired horse and happy’ish’ hacker!

4faults

Visit site
The vet came out yesterday and took bloods, we are going to retest for cushings among other things. Bet also suggested that because of how unseasonably mild it has been she has seen several mates who’s cycles have become disrupted and the hormonal effects it is having can be severe, so that is something else to look into. No answers but a plan going forward.

Slightly better news with the 5yo who has had a rubbish time lately but a trip back to Leahurst on Friday will be the deciding factor. Thank you for your kind words everyone will just see where we go from here

4faults

Visit site
Your pony sounds very similar to my friends. She did have cushings and laminitis. Despite medication she could not be turned out as so sensitive. A lot of management. Plus ok on the lead reign, but even then a bit sharp. Too small for adults and due to rotation from previous lami would not have wanted extra weight on her. My friend kept her going for years, and she did make woodchip turnout pen and get a mini Shetland to improve her quality of life. However, she was still often grumpy, getting stiff and continued to get bouts of lami. So one day she decided enough was enough. It was the best decision.

Of course PTS isn’t to be taken lightly. But sometimes you have to question quality of life, stuck in a stable on a constant diet. Almost certainly in pain causing their foul mood.

Sorry to hear about your 5 yo. Had to PtS my 7 year old a few weeks ago due to rare liver failure. It hurts when you had so many long term plans that can’t happen. Still have retired horse and happy’ish’ hacker!

So sorry to hear about your 7yo, that must have been really tough. I lost a 5yo to colic a few years ago and it was such a shock to the system. Hope you’re ok xx

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I know you said you can't loan her out but you might be surprised.

Assuming you can get to the bottom of her grumpiness and rule out anything sinister - you might find a loaner.

In the last few years we have taken on two loan ponies who needed bringing back into work. It was a complete punt on our part but it was absolutely worth it. One was a 12.2 and the other 13.2. Daughter learned loads from the process and it was good for ponies and their owners too.