Children on Horses

rodders

New User
Visit site
BSJA are now starting children on horses for children aged between 12 - 14yrs with a team togo to the european championships at turkey 2007 first trail will be at wales in the west at the end of april.
the height of fences will be 1m 1.10 and 1.20
who thinks this is a good idea?????

Tia

Visit site
Can't see anything wrong with it. Over here no-one rides ponies (except me and my family
grin.gif
) - even little kids ride 15.2hh - 16.2hh horses.

1.20 isn't that big and most decent kid riders will have already jumped in excess of this height - I know I did on my ponies at that age.

MillionDollar

Visit site
I think its a very good idea. I also think they should have classes for adults on ponies but thats a different matter. It will teach children what it is like to compete a horse. It takes time to get used to a horse when you've only been riding ponies for years. I was lucky enogh to get a horse when i was 12, and still had my first ponies.

bellgave

Visit site
I had my first "Horse " when I was 13, he was great and taught me a lot. I did learn to ride on my parents horses when I was tiny, then got my own ponies, but competing with my horse as a junior associate against adults at bsja was the best thing that could have happened to me.

Lynz25

Visit site
Totally agree with Bellgave. I got my first pony (13.3) when I was 12 (was 5ft3) and got too tall for her by the age of 13 (about 5ft7 by this point). I then took a year of local competitions to get used to him then we got affiliated. Used to be great beating the dealers and older BSJA members. Also when all my fellow PC members progressed onto horses I had already got at least 3 years competing on horses on them. The majority all seemed to struggle to make the change at 16yrs of age from ponys to horses.

Skhosu

Visit site
No problem with it. A lot will already have a horse on the sidelines and considering the 13.2 and 14.2 jumps go to 1.20-1.40 ( I think!) they are already jumping that big!

Parkranger

Visit site
I was riding a 15.2 by the time I was 11! Due to height and the fact that I preferred horses to ponies.......didn't do me any harm.....

S_N

Visit site
Sounds like a good idea to me. I was the proud owner of a 15 hand high and wide cob, at the age of 11. Before then I was riding bigger horses that belonged to friends