Child's jodhpur boots, leather or synthetic?

FrecklesTheCat

Visit site
My wee one (7) needs new jodhpur boots.

In the past he has had blisters from his present ones. He had trouble getting them on, so its possible that they were too loose so that he could get his foot in.

I'm thinking of getting him some ones with zips this time to ease that problem. I need to teach him how to use a shoe horn too!

Is synthetic or real leather softer? Is there a brand which is both soft & durable? Although at his age I guess he is more likely to grow out of them rather than destroy them :)

Dubsie

Visit site
Personally I'd only ever buy real leather if your child is going to use them more than once a week. I bought a Requisite pair in Robinsons for not a lot of money, unfortunately my daughter rode at least 5 x a week and did mounted games in them, the synthetic leather just rubed away on the stirrups after a couple of weeks of hard use. I then went to a system of one brand new pair for competitions in the next size up (kept pristine, and cleaned in a boot bag) , one nicely broken in pair for regular day-to-day use & mounted games in the right size, and the previous pair well worn but getting a bit on the small side were kept for a few weeks to use when the regular were too wet to wear again, and then when finally too small they were passed on.

Shay

Visit site
We used a mix when my daughter was growing up - mainly synthetics for everyday and nice leather to compete. The zip front ones are much easier than the pull on ones as you get a better fit. If the fit is better then any rubs will be less - regardless of whether it is leather or synthetic. We always used soft bamboo fibre socks. Warm in winter, cool in summer. Soft and padded enough to protect.