Chilli's Leg Thread-Do not open if you don't like blood!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Ouch! Hope it heals well, looking better already.

Just have to say, horses are plonker aren't they? How on earth did she hurt herself on that fence?

j1ffy

Visit site
Poor Chilli, that’s quite a gash!! I hope she continues to recover well.

If you fancy seeing another recovery, there’s a page on FB called Tock Tock’s Road To Recovery. Check it out if you haven’t already, it’s fascinating in a gory way!

rosiesowner

Visit site
Poor Chilli, that’s quite a gash!! I hope she continues to recover well.

If you fancy seeing another recovery, there’s a page on FB called Tock Tock’s Road To Recovery. Check it out if you haven’t already, it’s fascinating in a gory way!

I follow that page! It's all just so interesting! I'm so into all of it and excited now in a way that I'm allowed to do all the dressings and stuff after another vet check today...

rosiesowner

Visit site
A photo from today...

Manuka honey seems to have worked its magic! Onto a mixture of manuka and flamazine for the next dressing now. I'm also doing the dressings from now on which is very exciting to me :eek: Got to make the most of it when your horse decides to have a jolly onto a fence...
You can see the puncture she had is healing really well. In fact, it all is. The skin that hadn't pulled off and was sort of flapping about has settled back down and taken nicely. Very happy with that.
27857891_904454079714240_2842210601506307454_n.jpg

Oh, and the top that was soaked through with blood? It now just has a yellow-ish tinge that you can't really see properly in the pic. Shout out to my super mum who managed to rescue it enough to be able to wear it to muck out in! The power of a bucket of water to soak it in as soon as the vet had seen it to judge how much blood she had lost. It was thick and heavy with the stuff so I'm impressed with my mothers cleaning skills.
27867010_904423649717283_6508944696003003699_n.jpg

timbobs

Visit site
I’ve only just caught up with this thread!

Oh my gosh, poor chilli! Looks like it’s healing really well though. Well done on the quick thinking on your part and to your mum for saving the top!

little_critter

Visit site
For any future emergency blood removal (hopefully not required). I’m told soaking in salt water is a good way to remove the stain. It shrivels the red blood cells that otherwise get stuck in the fabric.

Northern Hare

Visit site
Blimey what a scare for you both! Great progress with the healing so far though - well done!

Two things - for the Flamazine, I'm sure you've discovered it already but you can buy a big tub for about £35 from your vet which works out a lot better value than the little tubes!

Secondly, for the next stage of bandaging on Chilli's road to recovery, your vet may be able to hire/lend you a "Pressage" bandage which I've found are excellent in the past for similar leg wounds, but it's all down to finding the right size for her leg. They are zip up bandages which are great for once she's on walking / light turnout.

They are great at keeping the dressing in place whilst applying gentle pressure to help minimise proud flesh, and as they are washable are more cost effective than having to buy endless vetwrap / cohesive bandages (which btw you can buy decent ones cheaply on Amazon/ebay).

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Dear lord! How fab and calm is your vet and super quick thinking from you to whip off your top! It’s incredible how good the wound looks already. I hope she heals without issue.

Flamazine worked wonders on the hole in my leg, but the doctor only used it for a few days so it could dry out.

rosiesowner

Visit site
Thank you all for the compliments for my mother. She is a star.

The pressage bandage sounds good, northern hare, I think a livery used on in summer and liked it :)

rosiesowner

Visit site
The vets let me loose to do the dressings myself. So she is now sporting beautiful pink!
27973481_905813249578323_3428532573944775362_n.jpg

Looking good. You can see where she had the puncture thing-the darker red mark nearly half way down the wound. It is all starting to heal nicely from the inside out. :)
27973450_905813272911654_3466538581224049019_n.jpg

Mmm Mmm... :D
28055646_905813276244987_5795245348646111591_n.jpg

Also, Chilli (totally not mum mum!) got me a little something to replace the top that got ruined...
28167286_905813316244983_2634666426595067913_n.jpg

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Completely missed this post.
Seen the pictures as blood does not effect me in injuries, wow that was one horrific injury, it is healing really nicely, Some may remember the pony who crashed into the mirror, she used Manuka and it really does help the healing.

Hoping for this to continue get well soon Chilli

Bradsmum

Visit site
Doesn't she just. Looking good. :). Love the wrapping paper and glad to see it looks like fresh straw in the wheelbarrow, otherwise the description could be amusing!

Last edited:

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Doesn't she just. Looking good. :). Love the wrapping paper and glad to see it looks like fresh straw in the wheelbarrow, otherwise the description could be amusing!

Riding Hat, Riding Boots, Rossette, Horseshoe, Barrow of **** ... :lol: Sounds about right.

Chilli looks lovely in her pink bandage. I always make any bandaging as fun as possible. I think the highlight was a poultice with a pink vet wrap and "Frozen" themed duct tape.

only_me

Visit site
Looks well! That will heal really nicely.

At this point is there a reason for bandaging?
Self-musing really, as putting myself into your situation & deciding what I would do, as when Billy had his big accident we were unable to bandage the site (mid anterior thigh) so it remained open to the world lol. It was stitched however so not sure if that would make a difference, and it was just covered in manuka honey twice a day. Healed well with no proud flesh & barely a scar which was quite the miracle tbh. Never got infected!

Your wound doesn’t look infected but appreciate that it isn’t stitched, so may affect that. Do you think you could just cover in honey every day instead?
Although bandage would keep swelling down (is she on compete box rest?) whereas I was able to let Billy walk about as much as he wanted in a yard which did the same job for me. He did have just the minimal shavings for peeing as trying to discourage lying down as there would have been a good chance of stitches not holding.

Just curious, trying to debate with myself pros/cons with bandage/not bandage, and asking myself if in a similar sixty how long I would bandage for.
Suppose the lying down would be one of main deciding factors for bandaging. I do enjoy a good musing on wound care :p

rosiesowner

Visit site
ikmv, she manages to look beautiful whatever!
And hahaha everyone, that wheelbarrow is making me laugh now!

Chilli is now sporting lime green though, as she has had a stressy day (just come into season for the first time this year) and has spent quite a lot of time stressing in her box and managed to get her dressing a bit wet and it slipped down very slightly...
So this was it tonight. Not once in this whole process have I said "ew", but this has made me the closest to doing so-think it's the yellow!!
27973030_906900809469567_1841411154228431111_n.jpg

Speaking of being in season, yesterday she kept herself amused by staring intently and... ahem... showing her affection for some lovely showing horses coming through the yard to use our indoor:eek: Told her she's already had one foal and doesn't need another:D:D
28278965_906900806136234_316366194129744594_n.jpg

rosiesowner

Visit site
Looks well! That will heal really nicely.

At this point is there a reason for bandaging?
Self-musing really, as putting myself into your situation & deciding what I would do, as when Billy had his big accident we were unable to bandage the site (mid anterior thigh) so it remained open to the world lol. It was stitched however so not sure if that would make a difference, and it was just covered in manuka honey twice a day. Healed well with no proud flesh & barely a scar which was quite the miracle tbh. Never got infected!

Your wound doesn’t look infected but appreciate that it isn’t stitched, so may affect that. Do you think you could just cover in honey every day instead?
Although bandage would keep swelling down (is she on compete box rest?) whereas I was able to let Billy walk about as much as he wanted in a yard which did the same job for me. He did have just the minimal shavings for peeing as trying to discourage lying down as there would have been a good chance of stitches not holding.

Just curious, trying to debate with myself pros/cons with bandage/not bandage, and asking myself if in a similar sixty how long I would bandage for.
Suppose the lying down would be one of main deciding factors for bandaging. I do enjoy a good musing on wound care :p

She is on near complete box rest. She comes out and does a few laps of the yard when she's mucked out and stands tied up to be groomed and that's it really-we don't have anywhere she can be a free range chicken even if she could be! She has a nice comfy bed as I know she likes a good sprawled out sleep in the night (I can see her body shaped imprint in the shavings in the morning like a crime scene :p).

Speaking to the vets, we're reckoning that it shouldn't be toooooo long before we can let it free to breathe the air, but for the mo want to keep it dressed as she will turn her leg into a shavings chicken nugget as the honey is so sticky. We're just playing it by ear really!

only_me

Visit site
She is on near complete box rest. She comes out and does a few laps of the yard when she's mucked out and stands tied up to be groomed and that's it really-we don't have anywhere she can be a free range chicken even if she could be! She has a nice comfy bed as I know she likes a good sprawled out sleep in the night (I can see her body shaped imprint in the shavings in the morning like a crime scene :p).

Speaking to the vets, we're reckoning that it shouldn't be toooooo long before we can let it free to breathe the air, but for the mo want to keep it dressed as she will turn her leg into a shavings chicken nugget as the honey is so sticky. We're just playing it by ear really!

See for some reason shavings never stuck to the manuka honey, nor did it attract flies (injury was prime fly time) so I dont know if it’s something to do with the processing of the honey etc. It was weird!

Yeah can see why you’d bandage with a full bed, what stage can you use a stable bandage, as i can remember just how expensive vet wrap is :eek:

anglo

Visit site
My horse did a similar thing , but his injury was to his pastern . I had the same questioins re bandages as healing progressed . My fab vet explained that it isnt just about keeping it clean. There is much more movement in the tissue of a leg in motion than you would think and that faster healing is acheived by reducing the motion of the skin / tissue. Makes sense when you think about it .

Last edited:

only_me

Visit site
My horse did a similar thing , but his injury was to his pastern . I had the same questioins re bandages as healing progressed . My fab vet explained that it isnt just about keeping it clean. There is much more movement in the tissue of a leg in motion than you would think and that faster healing is acheived by reducing the motion of the skin / tissue. Makes sense when you think about it .

But surely increased movement would increase blood flow & increase healing rate? Obviously in a controlled manner not just chucked out in a field lol.
Unless it was a very tight bandage would tissue movement not be very similar to non-bandaged?
I bandage usually to either keep wound clean/moist/treat infections or to help prevent swelling. Although suppose if you can’t stitch and are trying to get wound edges to meet a bandage would help?