Choking/raspy horse

noodle_

Visit site
Im more of a lurker nowadays but i do value the opinions of others unbiased views as im a serial worrier/overreacter... :D

so...pony choked last week on her brekkie, dislodged it by massaging her throat... did it again a few days later....again no nose runs etc - just a block. She did this for the first time when i got her a year ago and i think scared herself as she stood there almost shaking the poor sod. All good no further issues.

Since the choke (2 weeks ago ish), shes developed a nasty cough, like rasping, whether eating hay/feed etc i wet her feed anyhow since our first incident last year, but now ive turned it into slop to help her a bit...
The cough sounds almost lke air passing rather than just a cough (its so hard to explain).... she basically sounds like someone with a really bad chest...I just figured it was a general cough....shes quieter than normal admitidly and last night/fri drunk far more water than normal.... nothing else is "wrong" im assuming this water drink has something to do with the cough...?

I AM getting the vet out anyhow (for unrelated issue - and now this), but wondering if theres anything i can do for her or try? or what the hell is up with her???

She is eating as normal, drinking more in the past couple of days like i said, soaking the hay now and slopping the feed....

thanks.

saalsk

Visit site
I would be thinking along the lines of a mild chest infection caused by inhaling some gunk (proper medical term that ! ) while she had the choke episode. My older lad has choked a few times, usually other liveries giving him a handful of dry hay as they walk past (grrrr!) and I can usually sort it with neck massage/wobbling, but he has ended up with a mild chest infection once after a fairly lengthy episode. If she isn't distressed with the breathing or cough, and eating fine, I would be getting the vet out monday/tuesday ( if nothing else changes over the weekend ) and checking her temp ( maybe up a bit from infection, hence more thirsty ). Always difficult to assess over the internet, but you know your horse - hope she is back to normal soon.

noodle_

Visit site
thanks

oh i know its hard to decide over the net BUT i just needed opinion if anyone has seen similar :)
i will be having the vet anyhow as id rather be broke with a healthy horse :D typically after payday lol :D

She isnt distrssed but very quiet/looks a little lethargic - but shes still eating.drinking which is why im not panicing - yet! :)

thank you for the advice - im sure its just a mild chest infection :)

be positive

Visit site
It probably is an infection due to inhaling some feed, the vet will probably give you antibiotics to help clear it, I had one choke and he had bute and antibiotics just in case.

noodle_

Visit site

knew you lot would know - i did half suspect the stupid ****** had swallowed something wrong...

bless her, i did pick the special one :D

Sparkles

Visit site
Infection. Glad you're getting vet...known a horse with pneumonia from choke before, not fun.

If she's prone to choke before, may be worth looking into if any scarring on her oesophagus which will be making it uncomfortable or at least is still possibly slightly inflamed or sore still from last weeks episode. Give her very sloppy easy feed for the time being to minimise isk of another episode - vet will prob give some anti inflams also to ease it.

Be worth getting teeth rechecked too.

Hope she recovers quickly.

noodle_

Visit site
yep teeth are on the list as they definately need doing. - shes two so they are coming through.

i would say shes prone to choke tbh but not to the effect it comes out her nose etc - i slop her feeds all the time but even more sloppy since this..just a habit i always was told "drown feeds"....

Glad i asked tbh as i normally overreact and just phone the vet :eek: but glad im justified in actually phoning them and not wasting their time lol :D

thank you again

Sparkles

Visit site
You're welcome.

Being that young, there's quite a risk of pneumonia....without worrying you, it's definitely not a wasted vet call.

noodle_

Visit site
Yep i will ring tomorrow morning and ask they come out same day if possible :)

Shes a lovely little thing, not a ounce of trouble anymore - not nice seeing her a little poorly! :(

mynutmeg

Visit site
I wouldn't be waiting at all - insist on the vet coming that day as you shouldn't be able to hear a horse's breathing at all. They don't need to have gunk coming down their nose to have an aspiration pneumonia and without wanting to alarm you it can kill them if not treated. The fact that she's quite suggests that she's feeling the effect and may well have a temperature - having written that and read back to myself, if my horse I'd be on the phone now. (I am coming from the point of almost loosing my girl to aspiration pneumonia following choke last year tho)

Spring Feather

Visit site
What are her vitals? If they are normal then probably no great worry, if at least one is registering as out of kilter then get the vet out tomorrow just to be on the safe side.

noodle_

Visit site
upping this as im back to square one.....

had the vet out 2 weeks ago.... shes on ventapulmin, immune supplement (my doing), and sloppy feeds

the cough is getting worse not better...but its not so much coming from her chest more from her throat if that even makes the slightest bit of sense....

she will now canter off down the field and then stop and cough her guts up....

Im geting the vet out again tomorrow as im not happy but dont want to (again)! over react??? what will they do for her/give her? is there anything i can do for her ??

her hay is soaked, shes on mats, and has good turnout?

be positive

Visit site
A break from hay may help, if you cannot turn out 24/7 try haylage instead of soaked hay, I have one that cannot tolerate soaked hay once he starts coughing but is fine on haylage.

mynutmeg

Visit site
I almost wonder if she's got something maybe in the gutteral pouch or similar - be worth asking them to scope her and have a good look.

Armas

Visit site
Having just dealt with a choke and the poor advice from a vet that nearly killed by boy. I did a lot of research in to choke and dealing with it and its after affects.
Many horses end up with food or mucus in the lungs this can lead to a pneumonia and must be treated with antibiotics and preferably antibiotic by nebuliser.
Good luck and keep on top of this before it worsens. Let us know what the vet suggests.

doriangrey

Visit site
Is she up to date with her worming? Lung worm can cause persistent coughing, she probably doesn't have them but it's worth a check just to tick off the list. I hope she improves soon.

noodle_

Visit site
Thanks all

yes wormed last week.....teeth done 2 weeks ago - vaccinations upto date, looks in good health (not actually as lean as i like anymore...and i have actually cut her feed back!) shes a growing girl and i dont want to overdo her joints!

i thought i was overreacting about the scope - but this means a trip to horsepital as our practice dont have a portable.... :eek: but tbh i just need her ok as i know shes not right at all....

thanks a lot i will update as soon as i can - i know your not vets and dont diagnose online (lol) but the unbiased opinions and different life experiences are really helpful - so thank you :)