Choosing between horses - heart, head or Halling?

EventingMum

Visit site
I generally prefer geldings and have had a few quirky ones however I'm not a fan of ungenuine types, if you're putting your all in it's good to feel the horse is putting effort in too.

For me Wanda would be the choice, I love her expression! She looks to jump nicely and from the pics the flat work has scope for improvement, a couple of years on she could be giving Halling a run for his money and sounds as though she would be much more versitile.

You also say Halling is still pricey for what he is and I feel he could well let you down and not be the horse you would like him to be not matter how fond of him you were. I think Wanda would be much more rewarding, you already own her so keeping her equates to much less stress and as you've already missed out on buying him once I'd say it was for a reason - to allow you to get Wanda!

Pigeon

Visit site
Head says Wanda, but will you regret passing up on Halling a few years down the line?

Also agree, I have two ridden, one is quirky, one is super genuine. The quirky one is probably more talented and athletic, but the baby tries his heart out and has made the progress quirky has made in three years, in about three months! I wouldn't change quirky for the world, but if you want a straightforward life, go with the horse that wants to please!

Firewell

Visit site
I love Halling and having owned a Halling horse I know how super smart they are. However I would keep the grey. For me something genuine over jumps is worth it's weight in gold. It's why I adore my horse so much.
Go for Halling if you want to do dressage and showing. The grey for eventing, jumping, all rounder.
What horse can you not bear to lose?

DarkHorseB

Visit site
I think Halling holds a mystique for you as "the one that got away" however I would never choose a horse where the word ungenuine came to mind when describing them.
Go with the mare she looks sweet!

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
im biased because ive always wanted Halling for myself and im still having to sit on my hands now!

being super sensible-if you want to jump competitively wanda is going to be more rewarding, but i do think Halling could be the next CS in terms of dressage, so, the choice is yours.

(i do also think Halling looks a tougher horse body wise, a real big strong lad, built to work and last, where as the mare for whatever reason doesnt give me that same impression).

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
depends really

do you

(A) want a forever horse to do dressage
(B) want a forever horse to do jumping
(C) want a horse that may be sold in the future

- A = Halling

- B = Wanda

- C = Wanda

I wouldn't touch a horse that was ungenuine at jumping purely as it can be frustrating and heartbraking. plus as 90% of our time is dealing with them on the ground, that also has to be taken into account so think about that too.

for me, I'd choose Wanda and I am not a mare person at all. (I am a jumper though!)

TarrSteps

Visit site
I think the fact that you are asking on here means you WANT Halling. ;)

You have to decide based on what you want to get out of it. Realistically, for most of us, horses are pets and we need to "get on" with them. I think you do have to give some thought to exactly HOW he was "ungenuine" though and whether your current life allows you the time to work with him the way you might need to. If you're not that bothered about him being "easy" and want him around just for "him" then have at it. You know Wanda will be easier to keep but she will also be easier to sell well and more likely to settle well anywhere she lands.

How about you give me your big horse and then you can have both? ;)

kit279

Visit site
Thanks to all who have replied. I am very torn about this... :(

I have been super impressed by my filly and she hasn't put a foot wrong since I bought her. She ticks all of the boxes - little, cute, grey, willing, good keen jumper. She is so straightforward that I have every confidence that she will do well wherever she goes and whoever owns her. However, she is a horse that really grows on you through her attitude rather than her talent. Halling, on the other hand, is a 'wow' horse - he really stands out and has a lot about him.

I fret a lot more about what will happen to Halling. He has a lot to offer the right person and the quirk doesn't bother me at all. I have a really lovely confidence giving jumping horse in my big black horse, Kallie. But for a long time, I have worried about his future as he is not straightforward and would easily go to the wrong home. In an ideal world, I'd have him in a heartbeat but I have to think about my husband as well. It's not so much money as time and effort. My entirely non-horsey husband has been very saintly about the horses but I cannot ask him to take on another one - he holds the fort for me all the time as it is with the horses, when I am on call (ie. all the time). On the flip side, my husband worked a Trauma job and his great preference is for me to give up jumping entirely so his preference would be for Halling!

I don't think there's a good answer here. Hopefully, the filly is off jumping this evening so will make my mind up for me. I take the point that Halling has been to a new home now and may not be the same horse that I knew so it would be worth going to see him again.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Honestly, the Halling horse has a real "look at me" way about him and I'm a sucker for a quirky horse . . . however, they are much, much harder to re-sell should the need ever arise and you could, at some point, be looking at making a rather heartbreaking decision.

As much as it seems your heart is saying Halling, I think you should go with your head and keep the little grey mare - who is super cute and really those paces could improve (Kal used to move like a puppet in front and now does a really credible medium trot - good instruction and schooling does wonders).

P

lme

Visit site
In your position, I'd go for Halling. You obviously want him, despite his quirks and you are worried about where he will end up. My mare is quirky and not exactly genuine (though I prefer to think of it as having a sense of humour) and I would never contemplate selling her. It might be different if I wanted a super reliable competition horse though because she very definitely isn't one.

Twiglet

Visit site
How quirky is quirky?

How is he not genuine - and how old is he, and could it be a greenness thing?

What do you honestly see yourself doing in a years time - going up the levels in dressage, or aiming for Badminton grass roots? Do you hack? How easy are they both to 'do'?

For me (for you) it would be Halling - he's obviously captured your heart and you care a lot for him. I'm also more of a big gelding fan than a little pretty mare.

But Wanda sounds fabulous and would no doubt make you happy. Is there any chance you could put her out on full loan? As a nice uncomplicated RC horse, she could be very popular - and you could potentially have her back one day to breed from.

TPO

Visit site
The sensible choice is obviously Wanda so I agree with TS that it reads like you're leaning towards Halling.

I think a lot of the decision depends upon what you want to do with whatever horse you have in your stable. Do you want to event/jump/hunt/RC/dressage etc and would you be ok if the horse you had didn't?

Having had him before is Halling's "ungenuine" streak workable and does it improve with work? If so do you have the time around work/life etc?

At a push could you have 4 short term? Make them an offer for Halling and if they accept them either sell Halling on from your place (preferably to PS and that's in no short part because of the gazillions of photos I could drool over of him!) or Wanda who you already seem to have a potential buyer for and/or wouldn't struggle to sell.

I'd have Halling in a heartbeat but that in itself should be a warning sign! I love quirky but it does mean limitations on what is actually possible when you keep them at home by yourself (as I did when I have the majority of my quirkies) at times.

At the end of the day would you be happy doing what H likes to do/is happy to do or would you rather have something that you can do whatever takes your fancy and know it won't duck out on you? Just to throw a spanner in the works it may be that while Wanda is the more sensible choice she's not for you 100% and there's yet another horse out there who's as genuine as her but with Halling's plus points too?

kit279

Visit site
Halling is ungenuine in that he will sometimes jump the moon and absolutely love it, then other days he comes out in a wilful frame of mind and he will not go over a pole on the ground. He was gelded late at 4 years old and he very much sees himself as his own person - I'd describe him as a very stallion personality. On the flat, out hacking and to handle on the ground, he is straightforward and willing and biddable. I don't think the jumping would necessarily bother me but it feels like a shame when he really can do it well if he's of the right mindset.

On the plus side, Wanda jumped two storming showjumping classes tonight and did herself proud... :)

Hmm, more thought required, I think.

coen

Visit site
Offer a little less than you think he is actually worth and see what happens.
If they accept you have got yourself a deal and it was meant to be, if they don't you have been sensible and keep the lovely grey mare.

Rollin

Visit site
I love the look of Halling but agree with most posters I would keep your little mare. You have more options with a mare and she looks lovely. I like quirky but honest does it for me too.

For fun how does she look compared to these two, full brother and sister and NOT TB. Jumping a 5yo stallion and on leading rein 3yo sister.

Mine of course.

image_zps7bf1aecd.jpg

IMG_9153_zps9d33c892.jpg

LynH

Visit site
With 14 years hindsight owning two similar to yours, I would chose Halling.

I have a quirky mare who looks very easy but has a tendency to down tools if she hasn't got her brave pants on and her fear escalates rapidly. Ever since I got her my worry has been that she would struggle in the wrong home if someone saw her jumping ability and pushed her in a way she couldn't cope with. My other horse is easy and straightforward and I could have sold her to a good home a hundred times over and known she would be happy. It's the fact that I understand, work around and have got more out of the quirky one on the flat that makes her special to me. She's given me both more pleasure and more heartache than the easy little one but we really suit each other. Sometimes when I see the quirky one struggling with how someone else handles her I know I could never sell her. I know she's had a good life with me but the little one would have been equally content with many other people so given the choice I would have always picked the big drama queen for her sake as much as mine. Fortunately I haven't had to chose.

JustMe22

Visit site
I can't see vids - honeestly, if it were me I would probably go for talent so would take the gelding.

However, as the owner of a talented but sometimes unwilling horse, I do sometimes think it isn't worth the effort. You have to slog away to get an ounce out of him, as compared to say, my client's horse, who is a lovely willing type, tries hard and is genuinely straightforward and a pleasure to ride. He stops unpredictably sometimes and it made me quite a nervy jumper despite being confident beforehand.

Sometimes I think I should've bought something with more desire to do the job!

I suppose the question is - does the grey mare have *enough* talent for you? I don't know you or your riding but a lot of people have horses with more potential than they will ever need as a rider. If halling will be one of those, and the grey mare's potential will be sufficient for what you want to do...then the mare seems the better option.