Christ- just had a scare with F, gonna be an all nighter!

seabiscuit

Visit site
OMG just got over a major heartattack. I thought Forrest was dead but seems OK now.

About 2 hours ago Mum was in the kitchen and heard major crashing, she thought it was thunder so ignored it...however it carried on so she got me to go out to the paddock (behind the house)

& Forrest's stable was completley trashed through on the front......and I could not see F ANYWHERE....all I saw was his torn up summer sheet outside the stable by the paddock fence.....(stable is in paddock)I finally found him in a very dark corner of the field, cast up against the E**** barbed wire fence.All 4's in the air.He was completly motionless, eyes in the back of head. Tried to pull him over but couldnt , eventually about 5 mins later he suddenly came to life, gave a loud groan and got up...pulling that f****ing fence with him cutting up his legs. He marched off, then collapsed again, groaning, rolling etc, then got up and walked into another fence, rolled and cast himself against it , tore that fence up, managed to get him up again, thankfully Mum then came out and called vet..

He was absolutely foaming, legs were bleeding, cuts were only superficial thank god. still four legs intact. He was passing lots of sloppy poos. Vet came, did her stuff, it looks like spasmodic colic, thinks he has long term gut damage as he has had digestive probs for a while now.

He is loads better now but I do not know what to think because he has been midly colicking all day, and with hindsight, mildly colicking all week,, sometimes he seems really down and 'low' , lying down all the time,then the next minute he will be bright and perky and careering round the field like a loony...he has always been like this but we have never had a severe colic like today. I just hope the vet can help him long term. Coligone def helps him loads.

Now going to be checking/walking him all night!

And tomorrow all that fencing is going to be ripped out and am putting post and rail in, I dont care how much it costs I cant believe that I have put up with barbed wire there for so long...stupid field owners..
frown.gif

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Oh hell, poor Forrest!
frown.gif

I really hope he gets better soon, worrying about the health of our horses really is one worry we could all do without!
frown.gif

niashadow

Visit site
Wow hope he's going to be OK. My mare had spasmodic colic one morning, as it happens i was working at the time so was with her at 7am. Phoned vet straight away as i knew she was colicky (had a friend whose horse had it), Vet injected her and after about half an hour, rested and by lunchtime, made a full recovery. Hope you have the same response. Good Luck.
shocked.gif

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
omg how horrid. I have done a couple all nighters a few backs now when my mum's pony had compaction colic. I actually ended up falling asleep in his stable at one point as although me, my mum and bro took shifts it lasted nearly 3 days and 6 vet visits :S :S an experience I never wish to repeat.

Lots of healing vibes heading in F's direction

Katie

casey2312

s6.photobucket.com
How absolutly devestated you must be to see your boy like that. Not to mention shattered, and now possibly skint due to new fencing.
frown.gif

Done a few all nighters myself with colic. I truly sympathise.

Bossanova

Visit site
Oh sh*t!
Poor you, I'd be in pieces watching that too, hope the little man gets through ok, how is he today??

seabiscuit

Visit site
Thank you so much everybody for your thoughts,he looks absolutely fine now!! Ive never seen such a bad colic turn around in literally a few hours, he had a really good night.This morning he had a little bran mash which he loved, and he was furious when I gave Owen some hay and not him, and he didnt stop neighing for about 5 minutes!! So he's definately back to his cheeky self.

The vet thinks colic was exgaggerated by the recent rain suddenly increasing the levels of fructans in the grass after the long draught....even though there is no grass in his field!Very bizarre.

lisaward

Visit site
someone on hear did a post on a foal getting colic and dying,
i think their vet said may be the weather/heat ,it's worring isn't it.
especially how much tally-fat coloured cob eats LOL

hope forest gets better soon,poor boy.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
Poor F glad he is on the mend now. How handy is your dad? as I am sure if you bought the materials and did it yourself it would be a lot cheaper to put fencing up.

_jetset_

Visit site
Poor Forrester, I hope he continues to get better today.

Someone else put the post about the foal but I was the one that said the vet had mentioned the weather was causing more cases than normal. I am a bit worried about what you have said regarding the change in the grass when it rains. My mare is very prone to colic, so I am going to keep a close eye on her tonight!

Ginn

Visit site
Aww, hun! Poor forest (and you for that matter!!)

Big hugs coming your way and lots of good vibes for him - really hope he is ok!

seabiscuit

Visit site
Thank you so much to everybody that posted- he is still looking loads better, but all his legs are swollen up, he must be very bruised and sore. The sockets above his eyes seem to have sunk deeper into his face like an old horse which is really odd.(he is only 5 )Must be a stress reaction or something.

Now that the worst of the colic is over am just praying that he hasnt put his back/neck/hips out etc with all that rolling and thrashing of the stable that he did! Well only time will tell.

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
Flamin horses....they are such a worry aren't they?
crazy.gif

Hope he is soon back on track. we have have barbed wire too and it really is a nightmare. ellie cut her chest on it a year or so ago and ended up with two stitches
mad.gif
I hate the stuff but the farmer won't change it as there is so much of it to do
crazy.gif

seabiscuit

Visit site
Cuts are merely grazes, which is such a stroke of luck.We have got of sooo lightly, touch wood. BUT legs are very swollen-even his face is swollen- praying it is just bruising.

Its extraoridinary how they behave when they are in pain!
frown.gif

seabiscuit

Visit site
Thank you
smile.gif
- it was amazing- as soon as the vet had been and given him his pain-relief/muscle relaxant, he immeadently seemed loads better- just like your horse he turned a corner in a matter of hours...

KJJ

Visit site
OMG!!! What a scary experience... glad to hear he's doing OK hun... he's in the best possible hands... and I'm sure you'll be doing everything you can for him

Hugs to you both xx

ruscara

Visit site
I am glad to hear he seems to be on the mend, and I hope his cuts and bruises heal quickly. What a horrible experience for him, and for you!