Christ lammfelle bare back pad?

Peglo

Visit site
I’ve done a search and saw that some people here have one and say they are really good. I’ve been wanting to get one for a while but wasn’t sure if you had to buy their numnah’s to go with it or do you use what you have at home? Also it says you need a dressage girth. Is there a way of knowing what size dressage girth you need to use? I’ve only got a standard girth and never used a dressage girth.

thanks.

staffylover

Visit site
The CL bareback I bought came with numnah and pad as one entity (though can be separated eg to wash). The price included them both. Can't help with dressage girth length, sorry. Might be worth contacting the CL website? They are fab! Astronomically expensive but worth every penny.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have one, used it to test if a horse issue is a saddle issue or a horse issue/training issue/rider issue.

I don't use it with stirrups as I don't think it is stable enough.

From memory, you needed a shorter than average dressage girth. There is a guide online to convert the likely long girth to dressage girth, although that is only a guide as all saddles are different.

You could get one then measure the distance under the horse with a piece of string though?

I don't use it with a separate numnah. So far, I have just brushed the sheepskin underside, but then I'm not using it that often.

Peglo

Visit site
I have one, used it to test if a horse issue is a saddle issue or a horse issue/training issue/rider issue.

I don't use it with stirrups as I don't think it is stable enough.

From memory, you needed a shorter than average dressage girth. There is a guide online to convert the likely long girth to dressage girth, although that is only a guide as all saddles are different.

You could get one then measure the distance under the horse with a piece of string though?

I don't use it with a separate numnah. So far, I have just brushed the sheepskin underside, but then I'm not using it that often.

I’ve read on here the risks of using stirrups on bare back pads, although hadn’t realised before that, so it’s really good to know.

That’s really helpful on the girths, thank you.

I wasn’t sure if you needed a numnah or if it was just an option but glad I don’t have to splash out on one too ?

Peglo

Visit site
The CL bareback I bought came with numnah and pad as one entity (though can be separated eg to wash). The price included them both. Can't help with dressage girth length, sorry. Might be worth contacting the CL website? They are fab! Astronomically expensive but worth every penny.

Thank you ?. yes they are expensive. More expensive than my saddle when I bought it new ? but I’m sure my wee pony will appreciate it more than my cheek bones digging in and me for that extra bit of security ?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Thank you ?. yes they are expensive. More expensive than my saddle when I bought it new ? but I’m sure my wee pony will appreciate it more than my cheek bones digging in and me for that extra bit of security ?
I think this is a typo, or maybe not. However, when riding, it is generally my seat bones in danger of digging into the back, rather than cheek bones ?

staffylover

Visit site
A word of warning: they are definitely not intended for regular stirrup use. In fact, I really don't know why they have the rings available to attach stirrups. Possible to give a tiny child a bit of security? There is absolutely no protection for the horse's back from the pressure that stirrup use would cause.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I have one and love it. I use it on all of mine, mainly to try and work on my seat ?. Have never used it with stirrups, but it is already a lot more secure than bareback so I should think most people would be fine without

It has an integrated saddle cloth that you unzip from the sheepskin upper to wash. I use the same dressage girth that I use with a normal dressage saddle - the girth straps are long on them but I like my girth to pretty much meet the bottom of my saddle cloth anyway so it doesn't matter to me.

I happen to have taken a video riding in it on the pony earlier today so here are a couple of rubbishy screenshots showing how it sits (pony is 14.1hh and usually takes a 16.5" saddle):

IMG_20220709_215617.jpg
Screenshot_2022-07-09-21-45-16-35_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

Ratface

Visit site
I've had mine for years and wouldn't ride in anything else.
Fortunately, they were a great deal less expensive when I bought mine.
I find them very secure to sit in, which is just as well as I have a tall, flouncy, opinionated Arabian, much given to dramatic gestures. Mainly over moving leaves . . .

HashRouge

Visit site
Mine doesn't have the built in numnah - I'm not sure that was even an option when I bought it as I've had it for years! My sister and I have both used it with a normal numnah underneath, and not had any problems. I would never use it with stirrups, I just don't see how that can be good for the horse's back. It's one of those items that is just so useful to have - my sister and I have both used it when we've had issues with saddle fit.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk

The Mattes one, though it has more components and is a bit more saddle like, is over twice the price :oops:. I recommend them, fantastic to have as a fall back, especially if you can share the cost between more than one horse or even multiple owners.

palo1

Visit site
I love them!! I have used them on all sorts of horses for different reasons and tbh they are secure enough that if you are reasonably 'sensible' stirrups are not needed. I have the CL one (not the basic version but the next one up) and have ridden miles and jumped logs and little things in it. I am never sure how much use you should give them in relation to a horse's back but I have never had any issues and all our horses have been really happy with the CL one. It is a lovely, lovely feeling to ride in one and I understand good for your position etc. Fab things!!

SpeedyPony

Visit site
I have one- the price made my eyes water as well, but thus far it's been used as a stopgap between saddle fittings and to back two youngsters, so has definitely earned its price!
I even went hunting in it a couple of times- although I find the knee rolls keep you very secure, but make it hard to get up into light seat, so we didn't do any big jumps. Not sure if the one with removable knee rolls would be better if you want to jump or not, my budget didn't stretch to that at the time.
I also would never use stirrups with it, unless I was putting a feather-light child onboard.

Pippity

Visit site
I'm not as brave as the other people in this thread - I only walk and do a little trot in mine! I got it when the saddle fitter was insisting my saddle was fine but the horse was clearly unhappy. Riding in the pad made it clear the issue was the saddle. New saddle fitter, new saddle, and the horse was fine. I use it in between saddle fittings, when I'm too lazy for an actual saddle, when I need to remind myself how to ride with my core engaged, and just when I want to really feel the horse under me.

I'm afraid I do put stirrups on mine, but I rarely actually have my feet in them. They're just there as a grab strap for my feet in an emergency.

Pippity

Visit site
I'm not as brave as the other people in this thread - I only walk and do a little trot in mine! I got it when the saddle fitter was insisting my saddle was fine but the horse was clearly unhappy. Riding in the pad made it clear the issue was the saddle. New saddle fitter, new saddle, and the horse was fine. I use it in between saddle fittings, when I'm too lazy for an actual saddle, when I need to remind myself how to ride with my core engaged, and just when I want to really feel the horse under me.

I'm afraid I do put stirrups on mine, but I rarely actually have my feet in them. They're just there as a grab strap for my feet in an emergency.

Forgot to say - I did buy the special numnah but I never actually use it. The pad goes straight onto the horse.

Taliesan

Visit site
I have one and love it. I use it for schooling, hacking and jumping with no issues at all.

I just use the CL pad and then a normal saddle pad underneath it - I don't use their special one as I want to enjoy my posh colourful ones instead.

They are designed to be used with dressage girths but their stirrup attachment is a solid d-ring. No way would I ever put stirrups on that as, if they got caught on anything, those stirrups are not coming off. Either the pad would rip or your horse would take whatever the stirrup was stuck on with them.

What I did with my CL pad was cut off the dressage billets and d-ring stirrup attachment then replaced them with a Total Contact Saddle. I rode in a TCS beforehand anyway (with some sheepskin and felt between it and my horse) so the CL pad was an upgrade for me. It works really well as a combination and it is much better than the default girth billets / stirrup d-ring on the CL pads.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
They are designed to be used with dressage girths but their stirrup attachment is a solid d-ring. No way would I ever put stirrups on that as, if they got caught on anything, those stirrups are not coming off. Either the pad would rip or your horse would take whatever the stirrup was stuck on with them.

Safety stirrups are essential with a closed ring stirrup "bar", caged stirrups possibly even better, but it's the lack of weight/pressure distribution that's the issue before we get to that.

palo1

Visit site
I have one and love it. I use it for schooling, hacking and jumping with no issues at all.

I just use the CL pad and then a normal saddle pad underneath it - I don't use their special one as I want to enjoy my posh colourful ones instead.

What I did with my CL pad was cut off the dressage billets and d-ring stirrup attachment then replaced them with a Total Contact Saddle. I rode in a TCS beforehand anyway (with some sheepskin and felt between it and my horse) so the CL pad was an upgrade for me. It works really well as a combination and it is much better than the default girth billets / stirrup d-ring on the CL pads.

When I was struggling with my young horse I thought exactly this setup could work well. I sort of wish I had tried it properly but then my saddle fitter found something that worked well for my mare!

Peglo

Visit site
Well thanks to you guys I bought my CL bare back pad. I had used it once and Tali was a bit unsure. At the weekend I changed her girth on her normal saddle and it rubbed her a bit so I didn’t want to risk rubbing further so thought her sheepskin girth on her CL pad would be safest. I went for a 4 mile hack on Tuesday and it was a lot of fun. ? Tali was much happier in it than the first time. my friend asked if I wanted to go a canter which I did but I hadn’t cantered bare back for 16 years since I rode old Peggy sue but gave it a whirl and I LOVED it! And didn’t fall off ??

In the morning I felt like I’d been hit by a bus ? I never realised how much more effort bare back was. My whole body ached. Tali isn’t as smooth a ride as old Peggy was. She’s got a bit of swagger ? I put it on again last night for a hack. I’m pretty obsessed with it and enjoying having the excuse to use it instead of my saddle.? I don’t trust my riding enough to use the stirrups so didn’t get them.

thanks guys for the advice.
A4937A2D-385C-4E35-9C08-AF21D175A80D.jpeg
a wee neck shot from last nights hack.

Ratface

Visit site
You're brave! My Old Loon (who I ride in a Christ Lammfelle sheepskin pad) would be throwing snorting, sideways jogging shapes if I presented that nice green ride in front of him . . .

Peglo

Visit site
You're brave! My Old Loon (who I ride in a Christ Lammfelle sheepskin pad) would be throwing snorting, sideways jogging shapes if I presented that nice green ride in front of him . . .

she lives at the top of this track so I’ve always walked up it. I wrecked me other 2 by cantering up there so I don’t chance it with her. ?