Christ lammfelle sheepskin bareback pads

winston44

Visit site
Hi
I have a rather stocky young QH, I had to have a western saddle imported from the USA and it was professionally fitted back here in the Uk, He is extremely difficult to fit as he has no withers, very round and still downhill, his present saddle is ok but it does leave slight scuff marks just behind his scapula, whilst his scapulas have completely free movement with no weight on them, I’m still not convinced that it’s 100% right, he tends to swish his tail hard for the first couple on minutes when mounted but then settles down, but I find him difficult to get him to round through his back and he will resist taking the bit, (yes his mouth and back and saddle have been checked recently) I’m trying to work out if it’s him being stroppy or if the saddle is the issue.

what I’m wondering is that if I can ride him in one of these pads, as the isn’t anything rigid in them, they shouldn’t cause any pressure points and therefore he should be able to round through his back! Could this prove if it’s the saddle which is at fault or him just being a stroppy teenager?

how secure are they?
Will they slip if your slightly unbalanced at any point? Ie if he spooks sideways.
I would use stirrups as a precaution, just to aid balance but not for rising trot or actual weight bearing, we tend to do slow jogs and then straight in to lope.
What are your personal experiences of them and which model did you prefer?

Elno

Visit site
They are lovely.

I had one for my youngster when we were in between saddles. It was the Iberica plus model. Very secure and cozy. It has rings for attaching stirrups, but it is recommended that you don't use stirrups with these pads because you will get pressure points, or if you do that you make sure not to use the stirrups for mounting. I rode in mine without them and it was fine.

palo1

Visit site
They are wonderful, useful things. I love mine and have used it for all sorts of occasions. I have found mine (not the iberica model but another with a bit 'extra') to be really very secure and hugely comfortable. I would happily ride in it for some time at all paces and even for small jumpies though having no stirrups just needs a bit of adjustment. You will be fine :) Horses seem to like them too!! Probably much better than a real saddle compromise in my view.

foxy1

Visit site
I've got the iberica model, it's lovely, very secure doesn't slip.
I have the shimmed saddle pad which goes under it.
I have stirrups attached for hacking but rarely use them. They are safety stirrups in case I ever got dragged (they attach to rings so couldn't slide off)
Absolutely love mine, highly recommended!

winston44

Visit site
I've got the iberica model, it's lovely, very secure doesn't slip.
I have the shimmed saddle pad which goes under it.
I have stirrups attached for hacking but rarely use them. They are safety stirrups in case I ever got dragged (they attach to rings so couldn't slide off)
Absolutely love mine, highly recommended!

can I ask what thickness the shimmed pad is please? I have a thick mattes western pad I could shim up to protect the spine but my worry is that it would be too much padding and I’d be perched on top, if that makes sense?

foxy1

Visit site
It's Sheepskin with 15mm shim inserts, quite thick, but doesn't slip because it has pockets that fit the pad, and slots that the girth straps pass through. There's pictures on the horse dreams website if you want to have a look

winston44

Visit site
It's Sheepskin with 15mm shim inserts, quite thick, but doesn't slip because it has pockets that fit the pad, and slots that the girth straps pass through. There's pictures on the horse dreams website if you want to have a look

Brilliant thanks