Christ Mond [Moon] Integrated Sheepskin Girth - any good?

Sophie C

Visit site
Has anyone used this and is it worth it's £129 price tag? My very sensitive mare has a forward girth groove and big tummy, which means the girth straps don't sit vertically. She is now loosing hair by her elbows despite using a sheepskin girth cover so I was wondering whether this girth would keep clear of her elbows due to the angle of the buckles and overall curved shape?

Wheels

Visit site
Yes I have one and they are lovely, great quality.

However, it may not solve your problems.

Two things - if your horse has a big belly then to be blunt, do something about it. If it's because she is chubby then put her on a diet, if she has a saggy belly then work on her core.

If your girth straps are not hanging correctly then speak to a saddler to see if the saddle can be altered to make it work or replace it with a saddle that works better for her. If her weight gain is recent ie since she last had her saddle fitter then it may need a check anyway

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Can't comment on whether they would solve your particular problem but I have a couple of standard Christ girths and the quality is amazing and appreciated by my very thin skinned tb.

Check out the horsedream website, it looks like they are a bit cheaper there.

Sophie C

Visit site
Thank you for replying, Wheels. I am on the case with core-strengthening and weight loss and every saddler I've ever had has struggled with my mare's particular shape. I wondered if you'd say that the curved shape of this Christ girth makes any noticeable difference to keeping the girth/saddle in position, compared to a straight girth, say? If not I might as well investigate the latter which are about half the price, although I agree that Christ sheepskin products are excellent quality.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
My mare has big shoulders, a set back wither and very forward girth groove. We tried a few girths, and the crescent shape has made a huge difference. It has opened up her stride and she is a lot happier.

Mine is a Kruger curved girth that they made for me, as I use short girth straps, so need a long girth.

So, no comment on the one you are looking at, but the moon or crescent shape (or Athletico as Mattes has my horse) does matter. My physio says the girth type can be as important as the saddle fit. (She had t say that as I was not keen on buying yet ANOTHER girth, it she was right.).

https://www.uberhorse.co.nz/pages/ea-mattes-girth-information

I did not get a Mattes, as she is quite narrow between her legs and the forward facing bump would have been too wide!

Sophie C

Visit site
Thanks for that very informative link! My mare is exceptionally narrow between her legs, too. I completely agree with your physio that the girth can be as important as the saddle fit but many saddlers don't seem to address this, in my experience.

Sophie C

Visit site
Thanks for responding. Mine's a mare, so relatively long-backed with a forward girth groove. I think I need to do a bit more research.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Thanks for that very informative link! My mare is exceptionally narrow between her legs, too. I completely agree with your physio that the girth can be as important as the saddle fit but many saddlers don't seem to address this, in my experience.

I had to get one made. It was top quality with proper strong English bridle leather lined with softer padded leather. It was very curved, and cost £130 as the top quality leather that gives the softer leather the strength had to be cut from quite a wide bit. Every other one was either not curved enough or had a blasted bump in the middle which would be too wide.

This is the one that suits her, very curved indeed, no bump...

38825361_492995477832405_1863655853844856832_n_zpspugob0fl.jpg

This was an earlier attempt, not curved enough, but I have included the photo as it shows where it was still rubbing, even with the curve. Very close grease marks, too close for a bump in the middle of the girth...

20180711_132002_zpsyqltb5q1.jpg

Finally, this is a photo of the extreme curved girth on the horse. It has the effect of making the girth actually hang straight. Looking at it, you would never know it is curved once it is on the horse...

20180806_065547_zpst3anx2lk.jpg

Sophie C

Visit site
That's incredible to see how straight it looks on the horse. Many thanks for going to such trouble. I now realise I have to factor in 'the bump' element as well as the extremity of the curve. A lot of food for thought!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Two things - if your horse has a big belly then to be blunt, do something about it. If it's because she is chubby then put her on a diet, if she has a saggy belly then work on her core.

TBF of all the photos I have of Frank his girth groove looks more problematic in his skinnier than his fat pics!

OP I can't help with that girth particularly but we have landed two with forwards grooves. Frank is sensitive ginger Welsh D with increasingly saggy elbows and it was the back of the elbows that would get rubbed. Got through quite a few options and also decided he really didn't get on too well with leather either.
I used the harry dabbs waffle one on him for quite a long time with added wool sleeves during coat change time. Trouble being that the binding did split quite quickly and not really enough bend
We then had a narrow gauge prolite which didn't rub but he managed to pull it further forwards than it should be and it bagged at the sides.
Latest was a pro choice ventech which I had put off for years and years but gave in and bought a cheap second hand one to try first and never had a rub although it will grease the sides a bit- the rubberiness seems to hold it back and the material edges are very soft. Unfortunately he then semi-retired fairly quickly after so I never got to try it for hunting or anything day-long.

The other horse is a bum high, long backed, big ribbed part bred arab ;) she has got on fine with an ideal F2 affinity.

can't find most of my pics but this is the HD versus a normal atherstone waffle (he was slightly problematic being only 42" and if they had any elastic we risked it not being up under the saddle flap and any edge would rub!)
11427221_10155841104840438_4178540888938277735_n.jpg

11391131_10155841104835438_339803455870345922_n.jpg