Cirencester or Badminton Fun Ride ?

jm2k

Visit site
I have been to Badminton for the find ride in 2013 which on the whole was great fun with the distance, trerrain, jumps etc.
The only thing which sadly spoiled it was the road rage riders with no care for the fact we had a novice horse with very visible ribbons in his tail, thankfully a very sensible novice despite these idiots ramming into him who couldnt stop or ride.

This year we are considering the Cirencester ride either as well as or instead of Badminton.
Has anyone been to both or even just to Cirencester?
What is the venue and route like in comparison to Badminton. Is it as busy? Well organised? Etc

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Haven't done Badminton but have done Cirencester fun ride and also VWH Hunt Ride in Cirencester Park. They do get busy . The routes are different for each the fun ride is kinder jumping wise with long runs starting low and building up where the hunt ride uses more of the hunter trial course. Both were well organised and I had no complaints although I know some weren't happy with the ground on the hunt ride - we'd had torrential rain the night before so it was boggy in places but apparently common sense and not expecting to go galloping through the wet bits was too much to expect of some people.

pip6

Visit site
If jumps aren't essential to you, Cirencester endurance fun ride coming up in next few weeks. The friday is a particuarly quiet day to go.

jm2k

Visit site
If jumps aren't essential to you, Cirencester endurance fun ride coming up in next few weeks. The friday is a particuarly quiet day to go.

Funnily enough, already entered for the endurance on a friends horse so I get the best of both worlds.

Wanted to go for the jumps for training for my own horse. Thanks for that Lanky Loll, its the easier course we would be looking for so appreciate the feedback on both events.

lhotse

Visit site
Oh balderdash. If I'd realised that there was a PR on Friday at Cirencester, I could have taken my mare. It would have been an ideal first outing if it's nice and quiet. Should have read the schedule properly! Too late now!!

jm2k

Visit site
Oh balderdash. If I'd realised that there was a PR on Friday at Cirencester, I could have taken my mare. It would have been an ideal first outing if it's nice and quiet. Should have read the schedule properly! Too late now!!

Ride entries close on Monday 26th for the endurance PR

jm2k

Visit site
I'm going on the friday with a friend. Hope you enjoy the ride!

Same to you too. Im having a very easy day as im riding the baby to get him out and about to see the big world for her, so hopefully it will be a fair weather day too

pip6

Visit site
At affiliated endurance ride, there are often pleasure ride (PR) classes run alongside the affiliated classes (GER or CER). These PR classes are open to anyone, but check the schedule (endurance gb home page, rides, schedules) to see when the closing date for entries is, there are no entries on the day. If you've missed the closing date, ring the ride secretary & see if they are taking late entries (no extra charge for a late entry which is great). Entry forms can be downloaded from the EGB site, then sent with a cheque & A4 or A5 SAE to the ride secretary. About a week before the ride you will be sent ride details, a map & your vet time. Arrive about an hour before your vet time, get your bib from secretary tent, loo etc, then 10 min before vet time take your horse to the farrier. Don't need new shoes, just making sure up to distance you are doing & not about to fall off. Do not turn up expecting them to reshoe your horse. After that (horse in bridle) go to vet check, where you will be asked to trot up. This is just a soundness check, not the full vetting the affiliated classes have to do. After passing this you have 30 min to tack up & get to start. Enjoy the ride. After you finish you have 30 min to clean off horse then go back to vets for another soundness check.

Big pluses are it will be a well run ride, vets & farrier there in attendance (emergencies do happen - I know from experience), route clearly marked on course (day glo tapes or flags on moor rides), stewards, first aid in attendence, fully insured as it is an affiliated event. No jumps, but you know it will be a good route. Ciren is renown for some long lovely canters. There's one section I love when you ride past a wild garlic patch & you get the scent on the breeze in the woods, it's lovely.