Clap for the NHS and animals

The Jokers Girl

Visit site
Saucepans banging around here. Started last week, horses go mental when they start and it normally happens when I'm in the field with them?‍♀️

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
It's so frustrating and I feel like if I dare to ask people to please do less noisy things that they'll interpret that as 'I don't support the NHS'. :(

millikins

Visit site
As an NHS employee it makes me cringe. And yes, it upsets my dog and the ponies, although they must be fair weather clappers round my way as much more subdued this evening.

chaps89

Visit site
I was just finishing up ar the yard at 8pm tonight so saw Fattys reaction to it. She was definitely alert and quite wired about it. I'm glad it's just for a short period so not too disruptive or distressing for too long.

blitznbobs

Visit site
as an nhs employee I find it fairly offensive tbh... for years we’ve been bad mouthed in the press, and critisized for so many things that are simply part of the job or things you’d love to change but can’t due to the system, but now it’s all “your heroes, we love you, thank you” it reeks of hypocrisy to me ...

millikins

Visit site
The guys in my local garage are far more "heroic" than I am, it's only the last 10 days they have had a screen put up and given masks, my hospital has not suffered any shortages of PPE.

PSD

Visit site
I don’t understand why it has to be every week. The nhs are amazing and they know they are, the first week it was touching but now i just don’t see why it has to be done. Each week getting louder and more wild with fireworks etc, why not just have a huge celebration when it’s all over with to thank the nhs for everything? I just don’t understand why clapping every week is beneficial to anyone, donate £1 instead, if the amount of people clapping banging etc did that imagine the amount that would get raised, the nhs would be far more grateful for that than people clapping and banging pans I would think.

deb_l222

Visit site
as an nhs employee I find it fairly offensive tbh... for years we’ve been bad mouthed in the press, and critisized for so many things that are simply part of the job or things you’d love to change but can’t due to the system, but now it’s all “your heroes, we love you, thank you” it reeks of hypocrisy to me ...

I’m not sure how showing support of other people can ever be offensive? I also work for the NHS and would never ask anyone to stop this activity, if it makes them feel happy for 5 minutes. Yes, the fireworks I could do without but they don’t last all night.

I don’t go outside to clap but that’s because I can’t stand to see my neighbours clapping, when they are carrying on like everything in the world is normal. That’s the only reason I don’t go out and I clap (for my front line colleagues) in the house instead.

They’re not heroes, they’re doing a job but it’s a bloody hard job. Showing appreciation of others should be praised and encouraged not vilified and dismissed as offensive.

Flicker

Visit site
My OH is a doctor and he is uncomfortable about the clapping. He points out that the 19 year old kid on minimum wage at the Co-Op is just as much a ‘hero’ as him on his excellent salary and full PPE. He’s grateful to be appreciated but said the other day that people could show their appreciation by just bloody staying home and being sensible.

And as for fireworks, that’s just ridiculous.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
My OH is a doctor and he is uncomfortable about the clapping. He points out that the 19 year old kid on minimum wage at the Co-Op is just as much a ‘hero’ as him on his excellent salary and full PPE. He’s grateful to be appreciated but said the other day that people could show their appreciation by just bloody staying home and being sensible.

And as for fireworks, that’s just ridiculous.
I think he's got a good point.
Starting to see posts almost shaming people into taking part in the weekly clap on our local FB groups. WTAF. It's no longer a nice gesture about being grateful, it's turned into a compulsive one upmanship in some areas.

WandaMare

Visit site
I don’t understand why it has to be every week. The nhs are amazing and they know they are, the first week it was touching but now i just don’t see why it has to be done. Each week getting louder and more wild with fireworks etc, why not just have a huge celebration when it’s all over with to thank the nhs for everything? I just don’t understand why clapping every week is beneficial to anyone, donate £1 instead, if the amount of people clapping banging etc did that imagine the amount that would get raised, the nhs would be far more grateful for that than people clapping and banging pans I would think.

People are giving money where they can, Big Night In, Captain Tom...I actually think its nice to have something which isn't about money for once, its just about thinking about people, and what they are going through. I'm not saying it should be instead of money donations if people want to give them, but in addition.

On the weekly thing, I can see your point but while we're in the thick of it, I think its a regular good reminder that people are putting their lives on the line to help all of us.

Lots of NHS staff are saying they really appreciate it so its obviously being received differently by different people.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I think he's got a good point.
Starting to see posts almost shaming people into taking part in the weekly clap on our local FB groups. WTAF. It's no longer a nice gesture about being grateful, it's turned into a compulsive one upmanship in some areas.

I got that feeling yesterday, there were a few neighbours out, definitely not all, in fact our hamlet has been pretty quiet every time. We were finishing off feeding horses and sheep, checking fencing etc as they came out and started clapping, nothing more or I would have asked them to stop. We noticed a few raised eyebrows in our direction. We were more bothered about making sure that the horses who were upset by banging of pots and pans along in the village, were not damaging themselves as they raced around.
The NHS workers in my household do not particularly appreciate the weekly ritual.
TBH, it smacks to me of not just hypocrisy but of avoiding a pay-rise.

southerncomfort

Visit site
At the risk of sounding like a miserable cow i think it should be knocked on the head now.

As others have said, what started as a round of applause has turned in to a major event with fireworks, bagpipes and all sorts.

It feels celebratory, and when their will undoubtedly be some in the community mourning the loss of friends and family, it feels a bit insensitive and inappropriate.

I've also seen lots of posts from NHS workers saying they find the whole thing embarrassing.

But the biggest reason i think it should be stopped, or at least restricted to once a month is that any notion of social distancing seems to go out the window and you see neighbours stood either side of a low wall no more than a couple of feet from each other.

Flicker

Visit site
I love the clapping, but the other gestures have gone a bit over the top. We had one neighbour blasting ‘You’ll never walk alone’ the other week REALLY LOUD. Our community is small and close knit, and there is at least one family in range of that who has recently lost someone to Covid. They are trying to grieve. It’s not really appropriate.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I find this thread sad.
People are trying to show their appreciation, I can't see that as anything but positive.
I don't agree with fireworks but apart from that I can't see the problem.
If you don't want to clap, don't clap.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Bella - Please come and explain that to my old mare. I understand what is going on and why, but she doesn't and is very frightened.

I have no issue with the clap as I stated, but it has got stupid now with people trying to outdo each other with their noise levels.
I suppose I was mainly replying to the people saying it was 'offensive' and the crazy notion that we all donate a pound instead.
Maybe we need to be reminded that it should just be clapping.

WandaMare

Visit site
I think the kids look forward to it and its something they will remember about lockdown when they grow up. Its nice to think about it from their point of view too. I think they will remember the Thursday night clapping probably more clearly than anything else in the pandemic for years to come.

Flicker

Visit site
I’m working from home at the moment, and working my absolute backside off. I work for a not for profit, and my work helps people too. A couple of weeks ago, during the clapping, I was still at my computer in the living room and got the sense that I was not alone (OH was in work). I looked up and the slightly creepy elderly couple from down the road were in my front garden, clapping. I popped my head out of the window and thanked them, saying I would also pass on their thanks to OH. Their response made it very clear they weren’t clapping for me and they both buggered off back home. So surreal...