CLARE BALDING RUINS IT FOR WOMEN PRESENTERS...

POLLDARK

Visit site
I've never forgiven her for telling the jockey, who had just won the Grand National & must have been feeling on top of the world, to get his teeth fixed. A spur of the moment remark which showed her true colours.

BeesKnees

Visit site
I've never forgiven her for telling the jockey, who had just won the Grand National & must have been feeling on top of the world, to get his teeth fixed. A spur of the moment remark which showed her true colours.

Really? That's quite harsh. Have you never made a stupid comment in the heat of the moment? I know I have :eek: it didn't necessarily reflect my true nature.

Dab

Visit site

Ian Treadwell was not in the slightest worried about the comment and went on to get his teeth sorted out.

He was inundated with offers to sort him out dentally for nothing, including from a practitioner in Blackpool who had backed him and wanted to express his thanks. Treadwell said, "It was the best thing Clare ever said,".

It was a genuine mistake made by Clare who thought that he had lost his teeth in a riding accident and was just trying to point out how tough the jockey's were!

hcm88

Visit site
Clare has been fantastic throughout the Olympics for equestrian sports even when she couldn't be live commentating herself at Greenwich she was there on twitter etc supporting it and backing it up. I know for a fact she's helped to encourage many non-horsey people to watch and get involved and for that I think we should all be grateful to her.

The comment regarding the teeth was a one off that actually turned out to be a positive thing. Many other commentators have said similar if not worse things in their days and grudges arent held against them. Forgive and forget and all that!

philamena

Visit site
Ian Treadwell was not in the slightest worried about the comment and went on to get his teeth sorted out.

He was inundated with offers to sort him out dentally for nothing, including from a practitioner in Blackpool who had backed him and wanted to express his thanks. Treadwell said, "It was the best thing Clare ever said,".

It was a genuine mistake made by Clare who thought that he had lost his teeth in a riding accident and was just trying to point out how tough the jockey's were!

^^^like^^^

hayinamanger

Visit site
Yes, I can never watch her without thinking of the interview faux pas when she said to the winning GN jockey "...........at least you can afford to get your teeth fixed now". Rude.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
The 'getting your teeth fixed' comment was a follow on from a conversation she and the jockey had had previously...

I have to say, I'm her no.1 fan. She's brilliant!!!

sonicgold

Visit site
She makes my teeth grate. If she is commentating I watch in spite of her additions and I avoid her walking program on R4, which is a shame as with any other presenter it would be a "must listen".

TeamChaser

Visit site
Me too AmyMay!! Think she's great and does an awful lot for equestrian sports and causes. I'm a big fan

She gave up her time on a Sunday back in March to commentate at the Berks & Bucks Team Chase in the most god awful weather! In fact, the event was abandoned after 1 and a half classes - I was quite gutted not to be able to go and say hello :( Pretty glad though that we decided not to make the 2 hour journey in hail/sleet/rain/snow just to find our class abandoned. She apparently made a great job of the commentary despite conditions that meant she could effectively see bugger all on the course! :D

Last edited:

Crazydancer

Visit site
"reseaches the sport"

Could teach Gabby a bit on that one, in the section where she 'paid tribute' to the unsung heros of the equestrianism - the horses - she seemed to be struggling with the pronunciation and missed the 'X' off 'Triple X' despite it being there in full on his mock-up stable door. :rolleyes:

MrsElle

Visit site
OH and I love Clare Balding. She can do no wrong in our house :)

I think the comments she made to the jockey about his teeth were a follow on from joking and teasing away from the cameras, she knows most of them pretty well and I am sure there is lots of banter between them all off camera.

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
I think she is great:D

I saw her a Burghley the other year wandering round the trade stands and said hello to her without thinking - when I said 'OMG I am so sorry I thought I knew you' she just laughed and said 'It happens all the time' and went on to have a little chat me about Burghley:D

rachel_s

Visit site
Actually I think the complete opposite. Clare Balding has been considered the stand out presenter of the games, (and the Jubilee) by knowing her stuff. And to be frank, she isn't another plastic looking size 0 almost-child rather than woman so would suggest she has improved women's presenting chances rather than wrecking them as they might recruit on ability rather than looking for yet another clone.

partypremier

Visit site
Clare balding does huge amount of good for all our equestrian sports she is very thorough & knowledgable in a vast .number of sports. She is so passionate & enthusiastic when presenting.
I think after the Olympics they should make her a dame.
Vote 4 Clare vote 4 Clare

Blitzen

Visit site
I love her, she has been brilliant! I think she's done a fantastic job, and its great that there was someone knowlegable and passionate about the sport doing the presenting/interviews. We should be very proud of her! I don't think you should judge her on a throw away remark about a jockeys wonky teeth, something they had been joking about together before the race. Bit harsh?

BeesKnees

Visit site
And to be frank, she isn't another plastic looking size 0 almost-child rather than woman so would suggest she has improved women's presenting chances rather than wrecking them as they might recruit on ability rather than looking for yet another clone.

^ This. Love the fact that she has the job because she's GOOD.

Crazydancer

Visit site
Actually I think the complete opposite. Clare Balding has been considered the stand out presenter of the games, (and the Jubilee) by knowing her stuff. And to be frank, she isn't another plastic looking size 0 almost-child rather than woman so would suggest she has improved women's presenting chances rather than wrecking them as they might recruit on ability rather than looking for yet another clone.

Thread title is tounge-in-cheek..... open the link and read, it is in praise of her rather than the opposite. :)

Visit site

He may not have been worried about Clare having a laugh about his teeth but he may take offence at being called Ian instead of LIAM!

It wasn't a mistake, Liam's teeth had been a bit of a stading joke in the weighing room for a fair old while.

Personally I like her! Even when I had to go and reclaim my loose horse from her when she was in filming for the National and my horse decked me - oops! She's game for a laugh and is very down to earth.

Alec Swan

Visit site

Her true colours? I do hope not. I agree, it was a monstrously stupid remark to make, WHAT WAS SHE THINKING? and it was needlessly cruel, too. I hope that you are wrong.

I think she is great:D

I saw her a Burghley the other year wandering round the trade stands and said hello to her without thinking - when I said 'OMG I am so sorry I thought I knew you' she just laughed and said 'It happens all the time' and went on to have a little chat me about Burghley:D

Perhaps she fancied you. She's ever the opportunist, or so I understand. ;)

Regardless of all that, she's one of the very few presenters who speaks with experience. She does understand the horse.

Alec.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
[

Perhaps she fancied you. She's ever the opportunist, or so I understand. ;)

Alec.[/QUOTE]

What a horrible snide remark, as I understand it she is in a long time relationship.