Classical training help

palo1

Visit site
Not sure where to start but I am looking to explore some classical training at a very basic level and could do with some pointers as to where to find the right help/instruction. I am based on the Welsh borders. Horse is 13 this year - we have done a little prelim dressage (not brilliantly but no practise either!) but dressage competitions are not really my thing: I am more interested in training and development and I don't mind starting on the ground or with very very basic stuff. Generally speaking, horse and I enjoy a range of things but mostly long rides across open country and a bit of drag and trail hunting. Any suggestions welcome :)

Littlebear

Visit site
Not sure where to start but I am looking to explore some classical training at a very basic level and could do with some pointers as to where to find the right help/instruction. I am based on the Welsh borders. Horse is 13 this year - we have done a little prelim dressage (not brilliantly but no practise either!) but dressage competitions are not really my thing: I am more interested in training and development and I don't mind starting on the ground or with very very basic stuff. Generally speaking, horse and I enjoy a range of things but mostly long rides across open country and a bit of drag and trail hunting. Any suggestions welcome :)

Which area are you in?

Littlebear

Visit site
We are on the Welsh borders so South Wales, Herefordshire, Forest of Dean are pretty accessible. :)

Okay, you are miles from me so I cant offer any recommendations for local training, perhaps join the Sylvia Loch classical dressage or Heather Moffet pages on facebook and ask on there for local instructors or groups?

palo1

Visit site
Thanks for suggesting those Littlebear - I had sort of come to the conclusion that the SL approach might work until I know enough to want to travel further for more! :)

Littlebear

Visit site
Thanks for suggesting those Littlebear - I had sort of come to the conclusion that the SL approach might work until I know enough to want to travel further for more! :)

I think you will find more around your way than you realise, I have met so many fab instructors that are most definitely what I would call classical but don't advertise themselves as such, you should ask on your local facebook page aswell (just maybe watch them ride first or get references to be sure) but we have some in our area that are hidden gems!