Classically Trained Spanish Horses

sally2008

Visit site
Can anyone help me please? My lovely OH has booked me a days tuition on classically trained Spanish horses for Christmas. I'm both excited and nervous, having been told to expect a bit of a culture shock, as I've ridden BHS/BD all my life. Can anyone give me any pointers as to what major differences I'm likely to find?

Law

Visit site
Hi there, lucky you!!

I went recently and to be honest I didn't really notice any difference- apart from when you ask them to do something properly they do it!!
smile.gif
(instead of having a fit or arguing!)

At first I tried to ride it a bit too hard but as soon as they told me to ask less the horse totally changed.
I can post some pics if you like. It was amazing to feel passage and piaffe etc
smile.gif

sally2008

Visit site
Oh yes - piccies pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!!! It's nice to hear you say that the less you did the more you got as I was told to expect this. Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.
smile.gif

Weezy

Visit site
SEAT SEAT SEAT!!!!! Light hand, suck the horse up between your leg but allow horse to move under you - in all honesty Sally I dont think you will have a problem one jot as I reckon you ride quite classically anyway - you will more than likely be asked to really think how the horse is moving under you and become aware of the state of all legs and body, back and flexion and understand how the smallest of movements, buttock clenches, etc can make the horse dance beneath you and to your tune

Oh you will LOVE it - where are you going?

sally2008

Visit site
Wonderful, thanks Weezy! I am sooooooooooooooo excited, I just don't want to make a total pr*tt of myself on the day! Plenty of stirrup-less practice needed before I go I think.
grin.gif

I'm going here http://www.alemany-bird.co.uk

My OH is desperate for me to come back and teach Dec the Spanish walk. I have warned him I may need LOTS more days tuition first........
wink.gif

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
As Weezy says, the primary difference you may find is that classical riders will ride from their seat and legs into their hand without the need to fiddle with their contact all the time.

They use their weight as a primary influence in getting the horse to sit back onto his or her haunches and everything (imo) is done more subtly.

Classical riding can change your outlook on how your ride completly, it certainly did for me. It can be a culture shock to begin with, particularly for riders very preoccupied with outlines. It took me a good while to realise that my horses outline would be the end result of good riding and the temptation, initially, to use my hand to control his head was still quite strong (particularly when I was riding with others at our yard and my horse was, for a while, not working into an outline unlike all the others.)

I hope you enjoy it, it really can open your eyes to a whole new way of riding. For me, everything started to click together once Id got to grips with the basics. The result is that my horse responds to my seat... the fiddling with the reins, the heavyness on the forehand all went as soon as I learned how to use my seat correctly.

Anyway! I could babble about this forever but I really hope you enjoy your lesson
laugh.gif

sally2008

Visit site
Babble away, I never mind hearing others express their passion for something.
smile.gif
Thanks very much for that info, I have a feeling that I'm going to become a devotee very quickly, which I have no doubt will be great benefit to my own horse.

sally2008

Visit site
Thankies.
laugh.gif
No doubt I will be boring everyone senseless with piccies - KJJ is coming as official photographer. You should give it a go yourself - chat up the OH, my day there is a crimbo pressie.

sally2008

Visit site
My day is booked for 29th December so I have a little time to practice sitting still!

Don't worry, KJJ will be bullied into taking millions so hopefully there will be one or two of me getting something right.
grin.gif

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
Having just got an Andy I thought I'd better learn to ride him properly so I had my first classical dressage lesson on him last week. We spent a LOT of time in the walk
wink.gif
but basically I was told everything that has already been posted in this thread, concentrating on my seat but without doing too much i.e. seat bones following the horse's movement, thinking about them pedaling backwards as opposed to driving the horse forwards. But at the same time to keep my seat much stiller... to think of my seat bones and my hips as seperate entities, so the seat bones are following the horse but hips are still - thinking of pushing stomach muscles forwards helps to do this. Also to keep my elbows much closer to my hips as opposed to over exagerating following the movement of the horse's head.

We spent 40 minutes of the hour in walk with a very light contact not even thinking about the position of the horse's head but me concentrating on my seat, slowing the walk and speeding it up, and halting with just a butt clench.

Even after just 40 minutes I was riding much better, my horse was incredibly relaxed (he's normally very buzzy - but now I know it's my electric bum doing too much!) and when we went into trot he was soft and round and a very happy bunny - as was I!!!

Have a fab time and remember in classical dressage less is more
smile.gif

sally2008

Visit site
Ooooooo thankies - sounds fabulous!!! Also sounds like I'd best do some hip stretching exercises before the day too! I don't know that my seat bones will seperate from them ATM. LOL!

I'll be having two sessions on the day so hopefully by the second one I'll be starting to get into the swing of it all.

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Don't worry, KJJ will be bullied into taking millions so hopefully there will be one or two of me getting something right.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]LMAO! No bullying required... do you remember how many pics I took of Paula on Dec? OR how many I have taken so far of Finn!!!
blush.gif
blush.gif
LOL

Can't wait!
smile.gif

Munchie

Visit site
Its working well on the smelly one (A's nickname for him kinda stuck!) too....did lots of walk, trot, walk, trot transitions last night every few strides by seat alone....he started to get himself off his forehand aswell....and no running!
grin.gif

May have to kidnap him for a few months so you can't sell him.....enjoying the challenge at the moment.
smile.gif

sally2008

Visit site
Thanks hun
smile.gif
You need to take loads coz you just KNOW I'm gonna be saying "no not that one I'm pulling a face, no not that one I look fat, no not that one I look grumpy" etc etc etc. LOL!

sally2008

Visit site
Fabulous aren't they.
laugh.gif
Did you have a look at the horses for sale? I'm in love with Eclipse - hands off everyone, he's going in my christmas stocking........ I wish!!!!!
grin.gif

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks hun
smile.gif
You need to take loads coz you just KNOW I'm gonna be saying "no not that one I'm pulling a face, no not that one I look fat, no not that one I look grumpy" etc etc etc. LOL!

[/ QUOTE ]LOL - loads will be taken!!

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hey KJJ - you can always forward them to me and I can photoshop any bulges away
laugh.gif

NOT That that will be necessary I hasten to add!

[/ QUOTE ]LOL good idea... although there really will be no need!!!

sally2008

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hey KJJ - you can always forward them to me and I can photoshop any bulges away
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Oh yes please!!!! I want to be a size 8 with slim thighs, a small nose and tiny pert butt please. What do you mean, photoshop is not that good?
grin.gif