Clean Travellers

Whoopit

Visit site
I envy my friend.

Her horse never poos when in the trailer!

I’ve only ever owned utter filths who trample it everywhere. Nothing I’m able to change in a month of Sundays!

How many of you have clean-travelling beasts and I’m intrigued for ideas as to why some do and some they don’t poo when travelling?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
mine all poo but only a couple will have a wee. tbh i would rather they did than hold it in. if you know they will do it you can at least put bedding down etc.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I have a skip, rubber gloves, short handled plastic shovel and a stiff hearth brush in the horsebox.
My pony, so far, has happily whiddled into the skip shortly after loading to come home. Usually there is one poo per journey.
I will have had the ‘box for 4 years soon and I doubt it has been wet more than 6 times.
Previous horses wet a lot. In our old ‘box we had to put in a new floor.

tda

Visit site
They normally poo when first put on trailer, so can get that out easily before we set off.
Hardly ever wee ?

little_critter

Visit site
Mine wee-s and poos!
I wish mine would pee. He holds on until we are home, despite a shavings bed in the lorry. This means if we have a long day out he’s busting to go, but won’t, and doesn’t perform well. I’ve also tried finding some nice looking grass for him to go on, but nope.

Fieldlife

Visit site
Mine poos travelling but has never poo’d when ridden, ever!
Mine doesn’t really poo ridden in an arena. But insists on stopping to poo being led or hacking. I think he’s been told off in past for stopping in the area so doesn’t poo in arena. I do let him stop hacking / leading. I’d prefer not to but he’s pretty adamant. He’ll stop by himself and leave hacking friends behind.

GreyDot

Visit site
Mine will poo on the lead up to the horsevan. Never wees in the van but at competitions, there is only one venue where he will wee and does it every time we are there (usually stops on the track just to cause maximum disruption, while I apologise). Is always bursting for a wee when we get back from anywhere and will usually stop to wee at the first opportunity off the ramp.

Identityincrisis

Visit site
Mine often wee's when travelling, and infuriatingly my rubber mats had their join right where he wee'd. I hated lifting super heavy mats after every journey so bought new mats to reconfigure where the join was, much easier now ?

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Mine all poo, including the one that won't poo when ridden.
My mare pees, I know it's useful if there out for the full day but it's normally when we are coming back from a lesson 5 minutes away ?

Reacher

Visit site
When I read the title I thought this was about travellers who cleaned up after themselves ;)
As above

My Mr H generally spots the trailer and has a wee before loading.
I previously had a mare that started to wee when I had just loaded her and I was about to close the ramp, the jet of wee bounced off the floor and nearly sprayed me!

MissTyc

Visit site
My mare has a wee as soon as she loads, so I catch that in a bucket. She will normally do a small poo if journey over 15/20 minutes, but she doesn't really move around so it's usually a perfect little pile.

My gelding tends to wee on arrival if we don't unload quickly enough, so I usually walk him up and down the yard to his favourite wee spots and if he goes then, he's good for 3-4 hours and won't go in the box on arrival either. He poos on loading, usually into the hinge, again unless I can get him to do it beforehand! Then, during travel he normally does another poo. He rarely steps in it though.

I always travel with bedding - I find mine move a bit more without it!