Cleaning pups enormous ears? Advice Please...

scrumpygus

Visit site
Hi sorry about the numpty question but i am new to having a dog and my pup is 3/4 chihuahua and has gigantic ears that look bloomin filthy inside - what do others do to clean their dogs ears - should i do it with the normal cotton buds or iis there another way that people clean their dogs ears?

Spudlet

Visit site
You can get ear cleaner to squirt in from pet shops - I expect you could also use some of that squirted onto cotton wool to swab the ear flaps.

Gooby

Visit site
I would ask the vets advise on whether they think they need cleaning. My boys ears can look dirty and can be a bit smelly but this is just his normal ear wax and I have been advise to leave it alone unless it is causing him discomfort then clean with some special ear cleansing fluid which you squirt in, massage the ear and then very gently! wipe out with a cotton ball or pad. My little brother decided he would 'clean' the boys ears with ear buds which resulted in very sore red ears and instead of soft wax, crusty scabs! Needless to say brother is banned from touching the dogs ears!

CAYLA

Visit site
As above....I would make the first ear clean or inspection be via the vet, u will then get an insight as to how to clean and what best to use......if there is any chance of an ear infection then bog standard pet shop cleaner can do more harm than good, and ear bug can also as suggested make the ear very sore and you are not going to get very far if she has large ears
tongue.gif
with those, so best for the vet to take a peek down the canal
smile.gif

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Please don't stick cotton wool buds down there, pop him to the vet nurse as I am sure it will just be 'normal' dirt.

Most of the better drops you squirt, massage and they shake it out.