Cleantrax Q

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I'd like to give one of my neds front feet a soaking in Cleantrax,,and was planning on doing it today. She has a niggling thrushy central sulcus that I want to zap once and for all. She's currently shod in front, and I've just read the destructions which advise removing the shoes first.

Anyone gone ahead and used Cleantrax on a shod horse? Was it ok? The shoes aren't covering the frog at all, so the Cleantrax can access the bits of foot that I need it to. Is there a risk of a chemical reaction of the steel of the shoe with the Cleantrax, or other undesirable effects?

ETA I've just set my tame research chemist onto researching this, should have done that before posting this :p.

ETA 2 Tame research scientist confirms that there would likely be some degradation of the steel in the shoes and nails, especially after a 45 minute soak as directed. So that's a no, then.

Last edited:

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Sorry, I meant to reply earlier. I have used Cleantrax before, on bare feet, but with my new horse she had some low level gunk in her white line (despite immaculate frogs etc), but the farrier (understandably) did not want to wait while I did a soak, and as we travel 3 hours to get there/back I was not keen on doing 2 trips. Due to personal injury I was not prepared to remove shoes myself, so it was left/monitored.

She lost a shoe a couple of months ago, so I leaped on her to soak, and did the bare foot. As I had the solution going spare I thought soddit, and soaked the other front with the shoe still on.

The next day the farrier was astonished how clean the white line was on the bare foot, but also how hard her feet were (only shod 2 days previously so it could only have been the Cleantrax).

Next shoeing there was also improvement in the white line under the shoe, but not to the same degree. I did use a proper soaking boot so the liquid was higher than the cracks etc from shoeing.

Happily there were no apparent adverse chemical reactions to the shoe (lol), it just could not access the white line as well.

EXTRA EDIT - having read your edit, I guess there would have been some degradation of the steel, but it still lasted a full rotation, there was nothing obvious. Also, it was tea time so she only got 25 minutes on that foot :D:D:D:D:D. Her feet looked a lot better with no adverse effects apparent.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
If you don't want to remove the shoe, try 2x dailly spray with tea-tree oil. My farrier recommended CleanTrax for an infection but when I ordered it, there was a 2 week waiting time. So in the meantime, I used Equimins/ OzOil spray. The infection cleared up before the CleanTrax arrived as farrier confirmed.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Thanks all. It now looks likely that the shoes will be coming off before long, so I'll pounce with the Cleantrax then. Currently I'm using Red Horse sole cleanse and hoof stuff, which is keeping it at bay as long as I keep using them, but then it returns. I need to up the ante.