Clear mucus fluid

Irishcobs

Visit site
Hattie was AI'd on the 17th May. Being scanned on Sun, at 16 days.
Today she had some clear mucus type fluid coming from her rear end. I'm rather worried that it means she hasn't taken. Anyone had this happen before and should I be worried?

Irishcobs

Visit site
Oh poo
frown.gif
Horrible grotty pony.

sallyf

Visit site
Like i say keep your fingers crossed and if she has fooled you then it will be a nice surprise.
Never say never, horses do like to fool you though.

AndyPandy

Visit site
Mucus/fluid is not necessarily a sign of an infection, or her not taking. And clear is better than yellow/grey/bloodied. But like Sally says, it could mean anything.

Generally, post AI discharge is expelled within 36 hours. So 14 days on, you wouldn't expect discharge. However, it sounds like either: leak from the uterus, which is not normal, as the cervix should be tightly closed by now; or it's coming from the vaginal vault and that would also be unusual. It sounds like it could be some kind of infection - was she washed out & oxytocined after being inseminated?

Any how, fingers crossed it's good news. Make sure you let us know what the vet says!

Jamie

Irishcobs

Visit site
She was given an injection 3 times a day for 2 day after she was inseminated. I can't remember what it was called but it was to remove any access fluid.

AndyPandy

Visit site
That will most likely have been oxytocin, however, I don't believe that oxytocin alone is enough to flush a mare properly. She needs to be washed out with a buffered (and maybe antibiotic) solution, 8-20 hours after insemination, and this should be accompanied by oxytocin treatment.

So it is still possible that the mucus could be an infection, or nothing to worry about. Make sure you let us know what the vet says! Good luck!

sallyf

Visit site
We have used a new drug this year instead of oxytocin unfortunately its name escapes me rec something?
You only have to give it once a day as although it does the same job as oxytocin the effects last much longer so it works more efficiently.

AndyPandy

Visit site
Any news on Hattie? Has the vet seen her? Hope all is OK. Let us know!

Sally: I haven't heard of that drug - sounds excellent though. Perhaps it's a timed release-type stuff, or an analogue of oxytocin. If you could find out, I'd be really interested to know what it is.