Cleveland Bay stallion

jomiln

www.westendfarmstud.co.uk
Just wanted to say congratulations to my friend Heather whose Cleveland Bay Stallion, Kirkmoor Elderberry Flower, after inspection last month has now been moved from the Basic Register to the Quality Approved register for the breed.

Great news for a rare breed.

Thistle

Visit site
Hector is a 'Baydale' bred by the late Sheila Fenwick, I bought him From Nicky (Baydale on this forum, usually found in comp riders). She has a few of his relations He was supposed to be an eventer but was a bit too fragile. He is now being a dressage schoolmaster and competing around 1m 1.10m SJ. Now it's rained we shall prob take him XC again soon.

CBFan

Visit site
Thats great news! Pass on the congratulations... The world needs more clevies!

When I marry a rich man (haha!) I'm going to get a few more... In the mean time I'll have to do it the hard way and keep working to pay for the one I've got!

Trish C

Visit site
Please will someone introduce them over here?! I used to have a full CB and a couple of part-breds and absolutely adored them. One day I would LOVE to get another one. Stuck with this stupid ginger ISH for now though :D :rolleyes:

Hope everyone keeps breeding them, they really are brilliant horses... I'm mad about them, definitely my favourite breed hands down :)

CBFan

Visit site
Please will someone introduce them over here?! I used to have a full CB and a couple of part-breds and absolutely adored them. One day I would LOVE to get another one. Stuck with this stupid ginger ISH for now though :D :rolleyes:

Hope everyone keeps breeding them, they really are brilliant horses... I'm mad about them, definitely my favourite breed hands down :)

When I 'elope' to Ireland with my OH - in my dreams! lol! I'll bring mine with me - right now you can have him! You book the ferry! or I can get him on a Ryanair flight from luton tonight! lol! ;)

Pipkin

Visit site
Seeing as we`re talking about the fab breed, would you breed from this CB mare, She`s got a tempermeant to die for which is a good thing and doesnt have the stereotypical "stubborness" :D Fab mare, doesnt bat an eyelid at anything and has quite a jump on her.

Sire Penrose Stromtrooper (Grandsire Knaresborough Mastermind) Dam Tregoyd Cameo (Grandsire Knaresborough Chancellor)

Here`s the tubby Roxy

P1130662.jpg

30131_405015032160_501062160_448456.jpg

CBFan

Visit site
Seeing as we`re talking about the fab breed, would you breed from this CB mare, She`s got a tempermeant to die for which is a good thing and doesnt have the stereotypical "stubborness" :D Fab mare, doesnt bat an eyelid at anything and has quite a jump on her.

Sire Penrose Stromtrooper (Grandsire Knaresborough Mastermind) Dam Tregoyd Cameo (Grandsire Knaresborough Chancellor)

Here`s the tubby Roxy

She looks a lovely mare. As with any other mare being considered for breeding I think as well as temprement you need to look at conformation. Does she have any weak points, does she conform to breed standards etc. Then look for stallions that make up for her shortfalls.

Overall I would say 'yes' to breeding from her. She looks a nice mare. How big is she? She looks on the smaller side (which is a good thing IMO) and I would therefore go for a smaller stallion. There are too many humungous Clevies out there and tbh if I knew mine was going to get as big as he has, I probably wouldn't have had him! and I think Size is what puts a lot of people off having them.

Pipkin

Visit site
She looks a lovely mare. As with any other mare being considered for breeding I think as well as temprement you need to look at conformation. Does she have any weak points, does she conform to breed standards etc. Then look for stallions that make up for her shortfalls.

Overall I would say 'yes' to breeding from her. She looks a nice mare. How big is she? She looks on the smaller side (which is a good thing IMO) and I would therefore go for a smaller stallion. There are too many humungous Clevies out there and tbh if I knew mine was going to get as big as he has, I probably wouldn't have had him! and I think Size is what puts a lot of people off having them.

She`s a four year old in that and around 15.3, two years on she`s about 16.2 now and built like a brick blah blah :D
Conformation wise to me she looks good but I`m not the best :) I really must get some upto date pics when she`s less fat which is proving hard thanks to my council shutting my one and only bridleway and schooling paddock way to wet to ride on!
Would love to breed from her, she`s my OH`s mare and he wants to breed from her, have told him only if it`s another CB, i dont want to put a TB over her not that i`ve got anything against the cross it`s just with CB`s being a rare breed I`d like to put another in the mix :)

CBfan how is your BIG boy coming on, has he taken everything in the good old CB laid back and not bothered by anything stride :D

Roxy came across her first pack of very nasty dogs recently, my PBA freaked, Roxy tried standing on every single dog:rolleyes:

Indigo Moose

Visit site
What great news! I've always been a fan of Cleveland Bays, then last weekend I went up to visit the Tregoyd stud. I met all the horses, including the stallion Penrhyn PS (who sneezed all over my face!), and there was a 10 day old foal so laid back he didn't even get up to greet us. Beautiful horses with golden temperaments, I can't wait to own one.

Tharg

Visit site

I think there are people in Cork who breed/bred them

Rollin

Visit site

I am in total agreement with you - there weren't any in France either till we brought ours over. The breed is in a critical state right now with only 32 foals born last year, there will be fewer this year and many mares are not being covered because of the economic situation.

We need more breeders - buy now to avoid dissapointment.

CBFan

Visit site
She`s a four year old in that and around 15.3, two years on she`s about 16.2 now and built like a brick blah blah :D
Conformation wise to me she looks good but I`m not the best :) I really must get some upto date pics when she`s less fat which is proving hard thanks to my council shutting my one and only bridleway and schooling paddock way to wet to ride on!
Would love to breed from her, she`s my OH`s mare and he wants to breed from her, have told him only if it`s another CB, i dont want to put a TB over her not that i`ve got anything against the cross it`s just with CB`s being a rare breed I`d like to put another in the mix :)

CBfan how is your BIG boy coming on, has he taken everything in the good old CB laid back and not bothered by anything stride :D

Roxy came across her first pack of very nasty dogs recently, my PBA freaked, Roxy tried standing on every single dog:rolleyes:

Yes, Do get some up to date pics! Front back and side on and perhaps the experts on here can advise on conformation! They are very late to mature aren't they? My boy has really chunked out this year but there is still so much more left to do!! He's standing at over 17hh now and I don't really expect him to stop much under 18hh. - Ridiculous! Thats partly my reasoning for sugesting a smaller stallion for your mare... The majority of CBs I've seen recently are are around the 17hh mark which is simply too big for the everyday rider IMO. And yes, definately not worth wasting your mare on a TB Stallion... the other way round maybe but I think pure mares should be bred to pure stallions. By all means put a TB mare to a Clevie but not the other way round...

My boy is coming on nicely... sometimes a bit too laid back but I'm hoping a change of saddle may help... also having his wolf teeth out as I think they might be causing some discomfort, then I'll feel more comfortable about cracking on... He did try and kill the dentist the other day so we're having him back out and the vet too for sedation but other than a bit of a fear of all things new, he is pretty good :)I'll post some pics in the pg a bit later.

Kaylum

Visit site
Many yeaars ago my friend owned Knaresborough Warlock and was breeding the most fantastic horses for the police!
The police then wanted ID's so the demand for CBs dried up.