Clicker / in-hand training?

tashcat

Visit site
We have a lovely tb who is incredibly intelligent (almost too clever for his own good!) and he thrives off attention and doing whatever job is asked of him.

I've been thinking for a while now that he would take well to clicker training, and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some good resources please?
(Or any other kinds of in-hand training, as this is new to both of us!)

Thanks in advance! :)

Mule

Visit site
Ive been meaning to try it with the beast too but I haven't got around to it yet.
Here's a good starting point. I think this article explains it quite well.
https://horse-canada.com/magazine_a...raining-adding-up-the-pluses-and-the-minuses/

There are a few people who use clicker training with horses mentioned in the article. Alexandra Kurkland and Karen Prior, Ben Hart is another one. There should be lots of information out there. All clicker training is based on the same scientific principle (it's been used since the 50's) but some people are better at illustrating how to put in in to practice than others.

Xanthoria

Visit site
I use clicker training on my WB youngster and it's been a godsend! if you're consistent with timing, and only reward cued behaviors, you can really get the point across very quickly and horses seem to look for ways to win a treat much more thoughtfully. I taught my horse to stand for mounting, pick up his feet (he has shivers), despooking, take the bridle (he's 17.1 so it was a real problem before!), dealt with trailering issues and all sorts of ridden work.

I use a combination of positive and negative reinforcement depending on the situation. My horse is currently lame, so I've been doing stationary stuff, and he's learned to "smile" and nod his head yes in just a couple of days with clicker training: he looks forward to it!

I use my tongue to make a click sound (unlike a "cluck" for move as we do in other training - more of a 'clock" noise: horses can tell the difference) so I don't have to carry a physical clicker. Lots of youtube videos show how to get started:

Mule

Visit site
Introduced the beast to clicker training today. I got him to associate a click with a treat and only gave it to him when he looked away. I'm using my voice rather than a clicker because it seems easier. The videos xanthoria posted are really good.

Xanthoria

Visit site
That's awesome! If you do 15 mins a day (or even 15 mins 2x a day depending on the horse) you'll have him really excited to learn new stuff in no time :)

Before my guy went lame I had trained him to do a walk/canter depart really softly, and rewarded him with a click. The last ride he was just doing walk/canter transitions every couple strides all over the place in an effort to please me. Can't wait to get on him again soon and pick up where we left off.

(You will eventually need to reduce the number of treats given - at first they get treats with every click, but under saddle that meant my guy would stop dead and turn his head round for a treat. Not great when you're cantering over jumps! ;) In other words: a click means that precide moment was the prefect reaction BUT don't stop doing it!)

Mule

Visit site
That's awesome! If you do 15 mins a day (or even 15 mins 2x a day depending on the horse) you'll have him really excited to learn new stuff in no time :)

Before my guy went lame I had trained him to do a walk/canter depart really softly, and rewarded him with a click. The last ride he was just doing walk/canter transitions every couple strides all over the place in an effort to please me. Can't wait to get on him again soon and pick up where we left off.

(You will eventually need to reduce the number of treats given - at first they get treats with every click, but under saddle that meant my guy would stop dead and turn his head round for a treat. Not great when you're cantering over jumps! ;) In other words: a click means that precide moment was the prefect reaction BUT don't stop doing it!)
The beast was very pleased with
himself today 😀 It's great fun to try something new🐴🥕🍎🍏

Mule

Visit site
I'm going to buy a clicker today because the sound I make with my voice keeps changing.. I don't know why this is but I shall be off to the petshop to purchase one on my lunch break.

Mule

Visit site
I bought a clicker in a pet shop today. The sound is very distinctive. He's definitely learning. It's a lot of fun and he's enjoying himself too 😁 I'm copying the women in the video that xanthoria posted. I'm out of carrots so must get more for our session tomorrow.

Borderreiver

Visit site
A few years ago we had wonderful clicker camps with our horses each summer with Alex Kurland from the USA. Hannah and Rachel from Connection training took part in those brilliant training times too. Connection training was born from those times and has evolved from Alex's well known work. My home bred Highland has been clicker trained and is now ten, the perfect pony for me in my mid sixties. He was my first baby pony to train and clicker gave me a great way to work with him. You need to get it right from the beginning so I think it's well worth listening to people who can help you avoid any potential pitfalls. Have fun!

Morgan123

Visit site
Absolutely 100% recommend joining connectiontraining, worth every penny. They're great, and SO practical, but also welfare-based. There's a really great forum and FB group where people share videos of thier progress and stuff, and it's extremely constructive and friendly.

Mule

Visit site
I joined connection training last night ☺️
I was using the idea of helping the beast to be calm while we're training with the clicker. I groomed him and stood quietly with him during our session. It made a big difference. He wasn't hyper alert around the clicker, he just responded nicely. He even ate some hay during some of our calm times.

I'm going to use a lower value food reward tomorrow, like the connection training people suggest. I have been using carrots but he'll be happy with hay.
I'm going to watch some more of the connection training videos tonight and plan what we'll do tomorrow 😊