Clicking Hock/ Stifle on 9 yo Irish Draught?

{108361}

Visit site
Hello all,

Ive had my new Irish Draught for about 3 weeks now and I have noticed an alarming clicking noise coming from one of her hocks/stifle (hard to decipher which).

She is otherwise sound and moves freely across all gaits. The sound is like that of someone who is cracking their knuckle. It is not every time she steps but perhaps every 3/4 strides. I can only notice it in walk, although that may be because I can't hear when she is trotting / cantering.

Does anyone know what this could be? Im really worried but then she doesn't seem bothered by it in the slightest, it just sounds odd.

Im going to get the vet out to be sure but wonder if anyone else has had this before or knows what it could be??

Abi90

Visit site
My old horse did this and was completely sound. Vet said it was something to do with a tendon making a snapping noise across the joint (can’t quite remember the details it was a few years ago) but was nothing to worry about. I’ve known a few clicky horses.

If you’re worried, ask the vet.

{108361}

Visit site
Thanks that is reassuring to know. It really doesn't seem to bother her and doesn't go away/get worse after jumping or harder work.

The vet comes in a week or two to do vaccinations so will get them to take a look then to be sure.

pixie27

Visit site
My young ISH does this, pretty sure it's his left hock from my obsessive observations! Previous owner had hock x rays done which were clear, and I've since had a full lameness workup which he passed with flying colours (emphasis on the flying...:rolleyes:).

Abi90 - really interesting to read that! I always assumed it was related to bone.

LaurenBobby

Visit site
My 11yo ISH does this, I assume its his stifles as hes got changes in both. As others have said, doesn't get any better or worse after exercise and I can only hear it in walk!

eggs

Visit site
My warmblood mate also 'clicks' and it seems to come from her stifles. Like with LB it only happens on walk. I spoke to my vet about it who said it is nothing to worry about.

Edgehog

Visit site
I did a bit of research a couple of years ago as one of my youngsters clicked from the stifle but was always sound and came up with this ( apologies I can't remember where I found it )

"Clicking from the tissues supporting just about any joint can occur normally even in young, healthy horses (and humans). The clicks usually occur as a ligament or tendon moves from one position to another. As a joint moves, a ligament or tendon’s position changes and you may hear a snap or clicking sound when it returns to its original position, or a ligament may tighten as the joint moves, and click or snap when it shortens again.
Within joint capsules and tendon sheaths, the lubricating synovial fluid contains gases (oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide). Sometimes when the joint capsule or tendon sheath stretches during movement, gas is rapidly released from the synovial fluid and you may hear a crack or popping noise. "