Clicking joints-what causes it?

Tangaroo

Visit site
My friend has a welsh sec D who is 10yrs old. She has noticed that his stifle joints click,one in particular, nearly every other stride. He is perfectly sound and he is fit and healthy. She wondered what causes this and whether giving him a joint supplement would help.

collie

Visit site
Clicking can be a few things but it most likely to be a tendon clicking over the bone. My horse clicks from around the same area and has done for a number of years, she is as sound as a pound. Sometimes giving them a supplement helps. My horse clicks worst at this time of year as she loses weight over the winter and there is less fatty deposits to deaden the noise. If your horse is sound i would not worry about it as lots of horses click, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Tangaroo

Visit site
Thanks, thats what i told my friend. She says the noise annoys her!! I didnt think it was anything to worry about.

stranger1612

Visit site
Contrary to the previous reply most clicking noises are produced by a "fluid snap" from within the joint. Normal joints are under negative pressure-containing only a small quantity of joint fluid. As the joint is flexed the volume of the joint space increases but the total volume of fluid does not. Joint fluid is sucked from the surface of the cartilage and this produces a characteristic snap. Clicking is normal in most cases. Oral supplementation is unlikely to be of benefit. Keep your money in your pocket.