Clincher Browband

11bluewolf

Visit site
Hi,

I've seen quite a few of these around recently and I just wondered what people think about them?

I quite like them but I can't decide if I would want one or not. Are they usually used on certain colours or types of horses or for a specific discipline?

TIA

little_critter

Visit site
If you like it, wear it! It's not like it's going to harm your horse.
Not sure about types of horses that wear them. I like them and have one on my sporthorse, I think it suits him.

Mrs B

Visit site
Oh my Lord, they take me back! Had a brass one on my mare at PC camp in the early 1980s and got a right royal bolloc telling off for not Brasso-ing between each of the tiny gaps with a wisp of cotton wool on a cocktail stick (though where I was supposed to find a cocktail stick at camp I do not know ... :rolleyes:)

Photo of me on said horse wearing it at a little local show around that time ... I thought it looked smart on her!

Patsy2.jpg

Sheep

Visit site
Lovely photo! That's why I like them, a nice reminder of something a wee bit traditional. Don't get me wrong, I love bling too. Our new(ish) horse has a black bridle with a silvery clincher browband, it's rather nice I think.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I'd love one for my Suffolk for his show bridle but I couldn't find one for less than £80 which seems a bit much for a browband. Particularly as we only do showing for a fun day out.

If any shoppers out there want to try and find me one, he needs 21".

SpringArising

Visit site
I love them. I have one on my Connie and it looks lovely. I hate the blingy ones. I also had a velvet one on a while back - proper throwback!

J&S

Visit site
I am so old that I remember them as being used only on driving bridles! I have since had a silver coloured one on my coloured mare as her day to day bridle and thought it really suited her.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
I love them on a hogged cob, therefore I have one on mine. I think they look really smart, mines black with silver clinches, and my horse is black. I absolutely loathe bling browbands and the bloody awful wave-shaped ones (I think they make the horse look ridiculous) but love a nice traditional clincher!

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Thank you for all the replies, They are nice and traditional looking! Does anyone have any experience with Mountain horse bridles? Looking at this - https://equizoneonline.com/products/calypso

The only advice I would give about that is, often browbands are too small - my browband is extra-full and the bridle is a complete mix and match to get the right size. You may be better off buying the pieces separately depending on the size of your horse's head. It would be a shame for you to spend all that money only for you to have to buy a new browband anyway.

Pippity

Visit site
I love them! They're as close as I'll get to bling, and I think they look really smart on the chunkier types.

However, I do recommend buying the browband separately to the bridle. My cob's in a full-size bridle on the smallest holes, and I struggled to find a clencher browband big enough.

1587139380300.png

mini_b

Visit site
Absolutely LOVE the brass ones.

I struggled to find one in XF/Havana so I stopped looking in a huff. he’s a fs bridle but needs a larger brow band.
As others have said, much much prefer these to bling! It’s bling for non sparkly people.

I have however got a clincher belt for myself.....

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Absolutely LOVE the brass ones.

I struggled to find one in XF/Havana so I stopped looking in a huff. he’s a fs bridle but needs a larger brow band.
As others have said, much much prefer these to bling! It’s bling for non sparkly people.

I have however got a clincher belt for myself.....
There's this one on eBay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254520383258

The description is unhelpful, but I think the Havana ones have brass clinches as mine is black and silver.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I couldn't find a properly chunky one, but I'd love one! Where did you get yours?

eBay second hand. Its probably triple the width of yours. I suspect it probably came off some sort of heavy horse harness at one point. Keep an eye on the driving section though, I've seen them come up a couple of times.

Wheels

Visit site
I have a brass one, always had one as a kid and have one on my bridle now, they look lovely all polished up

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
I love them on bridles! So smart.
I bought a Mountain Horse bridle for one of the eventers. It fits him beautifully, I wouldn't say it's particularly odd sized. Really good quality for the price.

windand rain

Visit site
Learn something new every day I have always called them and referrred to them as Clencher bridles as the metal is clenched into the leather.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I know them as clencher too.

More robust than a blingy browband, I used to have quite a delicate one which suited plain faces.