Clingy horse advice

Supernova

Visit site
I have recently moved to a new yard. My horse has paired up with another gelding, and the two of them have become quite inseparable. It's kinda cute, but also annoying because turning him out when his mate is in stable is proving to be very difficult. Just walking past his stable stops him dead in his tracks and no amount of coaxing helps. He just plants his feet, sticks his head in the air, then turns round anxiously looking for his friend.

It's not such a problem at the moment as I'm not doing much with him, but plan to get him back into work as soon as and am worried that he will start napping if I go anywhere without this other horse.

Anyone have any tips for nipping this in bud? I've never had a nappy horse before and am at a loss as to the best way to tackle it
confused.gif
Moving yards or splitting them up in the field is not an option.

Thanks for reading.

Supernova

Visit site
He doesnt normally plant!! He is an absolute gem most of the time and if he does get a bit "do I have to" a tug on his lead rope (if I'm leading him) or a kick when I'm riding him will do the trick. This is so unlike him, he has for some reason, taken a shine to this other horse!

CSYMolly

community.webshots.com
Can you maybe put another horse in the field with them? That way they are more of a group than a pair? Molly used to get like that but thank goodness she hasn't done it with current field partner. He may settle once he has found his feet at new yard otherwise all you can do is add to the group or remove him. he's obviously feeling a little insecure good luck

Supernova

Visit site
He's in with 2 others though as well as this horse. Perhaps I need to give him more time. He used to be in a largish herd, then was just him and a girlie for about 3 or 4 months. Then I had him on his own for a week in quarantine, so perhaps that is why he has become more clingy.

Sparklet

Visit site
It doesnt sound like too big a problem then if he walks forward again on request. You say you are not riding him at the moment - one thing I have always found with mine is that if they are off work (for eg injury) their 'on the ground' behaviour gets worse. Slightly less co-operative, slightly more bargey so it may improve significantly when you start riding him.

Supernova

Visit site
Yes sparklet he has been off work for a little while for one thing and another. When I say he walks forward again I mean he used to, but since he's met this horse he no longer walks forwards on request if I am taking him away from his friend. Instead he backs up, plants, spins back round to face stable block or wherever his friend happens to be. The other evening it took me 20 mins to get him up into the field because his mate was staying in stable overnight (field is 3 min walk up the hill!). Once he was in the field he was running up and down calling and looking for his mate, there was another horse in the field, he was ignoring him though!