Clinics with big names

icestationzebra

Visit site
I know this topic has come up in the past but I wanted to gauge opinion regarding the popularity of clinics with big names. Personally I've done some in the past and some I have really enjoyed and taken a lot from, and others I've felt rather underwhelmed by. I've never had a bad experience, but perhaps questioned the value of some of them. At the moment I have a young horse who is coming on leaps and bounds with consistent and regular training with two people I trust - I would not take him to a clinic with a big name at this point in his training - however with an older more established horse I might....

So what are your views?

I'm helping a friend set up some clinics and we have been quite shocked by some of the prices being quoted. To even break even we would have to run groups of 4 and charge in the region of £50. Would you pay that for a session with a top rider? When I say top I mean Olympic standard. My view is to go for someone who is less of a name but with impeccable coaching credentials, she would rather host someone more high profile as she feels she would get more interest.

Appreciate your views :)

imr

Visit site
I would but I'm in the south east where thats closer to going rate than it is say north east. It also depends what you want. I know some people do clinics which are every month or six weeks in the same place - that can be useful for continuity. It can also be useful to go to different places or to have a different pair of eyes.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I organise a lot of clinics. I go for fabulous coaches where people will come out with a smile.
Some big names have quoted crazy money and I just cannot make it stack up especially as I usually have to pay for arena hire.
I used Lizzie Murray the other day who is fantastic and she is £55 for 45 mins so I paired people up and they all worked hard and loved it.
People are willing to spend money on clinics but it has to be value for money and money is really tight at the moment.

LEC

www.youtube.com
I have found that the best format is 3 in a group for 1 hour for dressage and 4/5 in a group jumping for 90 mins.

icestationzebra

Visit site
Thanks LEC - that's really useful information. It would be good to build a relationship with someone in our area that could offer some level of continuity as well. I know we are different parts of the country but if you have any suggestions for which trainers are the most popular (and will travel ;)) then I'd be really grateful :)

icestationzebra

Visit site
I would but I'm in the south east where thats closer to going rate than it is say north east. It also depends what you want. I know some people do clinics which are every month or six weeks in the same place - that can be useful for continuity. It can also be useful to go to different places or to have a different pair of eyes.

Thanks imr - I've paid that here a couple of years ago so it's not unrealistic, however we want to offer value as we all work hard for our money :)

TableDancer

Visit site
I think you have to find someone who is not only a name but also an awesome coach, then people are happy to pay. If you get a name but they are not actually that great people will come once but not repeat; if you get someone who isn't well known people might not try them in the first place.

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
I pay 55 for 45 mins with Jeanette including school hire, so when I go to hers it is less, but I love my lessons. I get an awful lot out of them, my horse and I have progressed no end in the last year of having lessons.

LEC

www.youtube.com
I am a massive fan of UKCC3 and as of yet have not had a bad lesson with anyone who has their UKCC3 so this is always my starting point when working out who I want along with 'who' they are.

The other thing to think about is the level of riders you are aiming at as some of the top trainers used to working with the elite are not so great at coaching lower levels.

Write a dream list and maybe take it from there? You don't know until you ask. On my dream list would be Blyth Tait, Chris Bartle and Ian Stark!

ann-jen

Visit site
I've got a dressage lesson on my predominantly show jumping horse with Anne Marie perry in two weeks eek! It's a private session and thinks its £40 if that's any help x

Holidays_are_coming

Visit site
I organise a few clinics for our Rc, had a few names but our regular trainers are pretty good! The best one I try and do clinics with is a bs trainer and she fills the sessions in no time, I charge £28 for 3 people Sj for an hr. everyone loves her, so far!!!

lucemoose

Visit site
I have never had a clinic (jumping 3-5 people) which was an hour. They have always been 90-120 mins and I think that if there are any issues then you can fit them all in. I think an hours lesson with someone you know is fine but its also a bit of a get to know you session too. GM the god that he is is $5000 a day!!!!

Jnhuk

Visit site
I organise training for my RC and find that one of most popular trainers books up very quickly because they are well known and respected, others initially were slow to book until word of mouth spread at how good they were. Venue is also important.

I keep event training clinics (arena based) to an hour for two folks sharing and I am careful to put like with like on ability. The event trainer loves coming to us for that reason as usually at other venues he can be expected to teach groups of four or five of varying ability. You need longer if you are having four or more horses or if you are going XC. For XC training I would recommend a 90 minute minimum. My comment would be for a 90min jumping clinic, you need fit horses so if at this time of year, you may struggle - or maybe the weather with you has been better than round here?

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
I think it depends on the coach. Just because they have competed at an olympics doesn't mean they are a good coach.

Up here a normal lesson is between £25 to £45 for a small group so a £50 lesson with a top rider would be alright but a one off price for me (and our local group xc lessons can be around £50 with 4 in the lesson). I have found that one off lessons don't really make that much of a difference to me. They would have to have a good reputation as an instructor to charge that tbh.

Not sure who my dream lesson is, but I would love a private XC course walk one-to-one with a coach who could spend the time discussing how to ride various fences/angles etc, looking at the ground etc. think that would be very interesting and a good discussion.

Last edited:

Horsemad12

Visit site
I tend to avoid one off clinics and prefer to stick to regular instructors, so for me to be interested I would like to see that there is a promise of regular clinics with the instructor.

Having had a dressage lesson with Chris Bartle before you can count me in if he is on your list!!!

One other tip - If you are aiming at a certain type of rider say eventers, try not to clash with local events that your client base may be wanting to run at - sounds obvious I know but I have seen it happen before!

Twiglet

Visit site
I've got a lesson with Nick Gauntlett tomorrow - £50 for an hour's private jumping (and he's travelling from Gloucestershire to Surrey for the clinic). It's not so much his name that attracted me but hearing what great lessons he gives.
A friend recently attended a Yogi B clinic, which was a lot more money for a group lesson, and didn't get very much from it.

ihatework

Visit site
For my flatwork on the whole I try and stick with the same person (although it would be useful to find a second person to give me a slightly different take on things but who complimented current instructor).

For flatwork I avoid group sessions. Definitely prefer private.

I've done a couple of 'named' sessions over the last couple of years. Recently paid £55 for 30 minutes and got nothing out of it, very disappointing. Prior to that had a session with someone else, had a great session and came out buzzing and motivated. By the next week everything had fallen apart and in hindsight the name and regular trainers methods were so different that it wasn't a mix that was going to work unfortunately.

daisycrazy

Visit site
I'd pay an awful lot if someone organised Chris Bartle clinics in Glos/Worc. I don't think he has time to give clinics because he is so busy with German team training and the YRC. If anybody did manage to organise a clinic with him within an hour to an hour and a half radius of me then I'd be very interested indeed, regardless of price.

georgiegirl

Visit site
Ive got one coming up with Nicola Wilson soon which was £46 each in a group of three for an hour and a half mixed flat and jumping lesson. I think thats great value! Hoping we will get a lot out of it :) (incidentally this clinic day has been immensly popular with our riding club and 'sold out' within a couple of days)

kerilli

Visit site
I think it depends totally on the name and on their reputation as a coach. There are some I would move heaven and earth to be taught by (again, in some cases), and tbh the cost wouldn't worry me, and others that I'd actively avoid! It's a very difficult balance.
Dream List: George Morris (I would need a new Teflon coating first, but would absolutely love a session with him), David O'Connor, Ian Stark (totally brilliant), Arno Nessen (awesome SJ coach, I've never got my horse going so well in my life!)
I have heard nothing but great things of Nick Gauntlett as a trainer - Twiglet, I'm envious. Full report please!
I really rate Francis Whittington as a xc trainer from personal experience (haven't been taught by him in other disciplines so can't comment on those).
Very difficult with some of the others - of course everyone can have off days, but if their off day happens to be the one day you are having training, it can have very far reaching repercussions... :( :( :(

humblepie

Visit site
Have done clinic lesson with Nick Gauntlett and yes very good.

Have being doing some riding clinics with BHSI's not names and they have been very good and as riding club excellent value. In the past did some show jumping clinics with names and as others have said there are some you would go back to and pay quite a bit, there are others you would not touch with barge pole, mainly because unless you were someone they knew or had next year's gold medallist they were not interested.

maestro

www.westonstud.co.uk
Its interesting that both Nick Gauntlett and Francis Whittington have both made the commitment to train to teach which to my mind would put them head and shoulders above a lot of names. It annoys the hell out of me that riders can call themselves international riders and command a lot of money without putting the blockwork in to teach/train. Nobody in this day and age has any excuses in taking the appropriate courses to make sure they have the right tools to teach appropriate groups positively and safely.

icestationzebra

Visit site
Thanks everyone - that's really helpful - and some great ideas in there. I agree that the coaching skills need to be solid - just being a big name isn't quite enough. I think there might be two markets: those impressed by the 'stars' perhaps younger or less serious riders, and then you have the riders who are keen to improve themselves and their horses and want a really good enriching experience......