Clip grown out can I turn out naked?

Potato!

Visit site
Just wondering. I had my lad fully clipped at the end of October. However he is now being turned away for the rest of the winter. His clip has now grown out however it's not like a huge wooly winter coat yet as he has been rugged. He does however need to lose weight. Could I turn him out naked now? He is stabled at night. How long would it take for him to get really wooly? It's not exactly cold at the mo, however with the wet I'm not too sure that it's too much. I don't have a lightweight turnout rug for him as would prefer he uses his own hair to keep warm. But he does have shelter in the form of trees and as I said he cones in at night. If the weather was very wet then he would stay in anyway as would be doing it to save the field.

Last edited:

Potato!

Visit site
His breeding is unknown I was told he is just Irish, but he is a very good doer. Native type he seems to have quite a but of welsh cob in him

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
If its dry & not under 5 degrees (real* feel, not just what forecasters say) then yes I would go without in the daytime :)
I'd still rug at night & also in daytime if rain/sleet etc is forecast.

* eg: today is sunny now here & forecast dry till tonight & 8 degrees, BUT real feel is about 2 at best.......

Potato!

Visit site
Well I've turned him out naked today and will see how he is later. I took his rug off last night and he was still toasty warm both late last night and 1st thing this morning so I think I'll play it by ear and see how it goes.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Well I've turned him out naked today and will see how he is later. I took his rug off last night and he was still toasty warm both late last night and 1st thing this morning so I think I'll play it by ear and see how it goes.

:confused3: so why did you ask a bunch of random strangers 3 hrs ago, when you have already taken rug off :confused3:

Happy xmas anyway :)

Potato!

Visit site
Because I was unsure of having the rug off while turned out in the field. While he is dry and in the stable he was ok but out in the elements I wasn't sure therefore I thought I'd ask for opinions.

wallykissmas

Visit site
Mine is in a similar situation to yours but has been out for a few weeks , comes in if its wet but also has access to a stable that can go in and out as feels free. Horse is fine and if anything is getting fatter I swear.

Go by what you think ;-)