Clipper blade sharpening

HelenPolly

Visit site
Hi all,

I usually get my blades sharpened by Eddie Palin but I'm sooo disappointed with them this year, none of them seem to last longer than one clip (not user error), they've resharpened them for me for free but I can't keep sending them back! I've seen the "shearease" website, anybody used them? or can recommend somehwere else that's good to send off to?

I'm also gutted that my mare managed to accidentally kick my clippers at the weekend and take 5 teeth off my blades. (I bit my tongue very hard!) She's usually good as gold and we've clipped for years but those darn pesky flies were out again on sunny Saturday and she gets very annoyed with them and kicks her front feet up, roll on winter to kill them all off!

Thx a lot
Helen

miller

Visit site
I always use Alan Talbot - advertises in H+H, based in Derbyshire, excellent service and my blades always do 5 or 6 full clips after

KatB

Visit site
Yep, same hear, and he is cheap!
smile.gif

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
(toolmakers hat on) 3 things can make the blades blunt more quickly.

1 - poor grade steel used in the blade construction

2 - insufficient coolant on grinding wheel when grinding blades causing the hardness properties of the steel to change

3 - abrasives in the horses coat (mud) getting into the blade mechanism and waering them prematurly.

Tools (machine tools, cutters, drills, clipper blades etc) are made out of tool steel.

Tools are by definition very tough, so they are first machined to shape in their soft state, then put through a heat treatment process to harden it, and finally the surfaces are ground to give it sharp edges so it can do its job properly and give good life.

If poor quality steel is used (non genuine) then when it is heat treated, it may not reach the correct degree of hardness, and have inferior wear life.

If it is put back under the grinding wheel and allowed to get too hot in the sharpening process, the heat will soften the metal and the correct hardness characteristics willl be lost forever (unless it is hardened again)

(/toolmakers hat off)