Clipper rash?

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Since I clipped Springy on Sunday I have noticed that she has some weepy scabs in the groove of her chin. I am washing them with hibiscrub to stop them being infected and they don't sem to bother her except she was itching her chin the other day.
Is it a clipper rash? Anyone else's horse had similar? She hasn't got them anywhere else just on her chin!
confused.gif

Sags_Deer

Somewhere in the hills in the sunny south
Visit site
we have a cob that always does this when he is clipped. he has always had bad skin, but when clipped just scratches. for all the washing etc in the world end up with steriods from the vet, this winter avoided clipping, may just do a small tummy one at some point but nothing else. he is on homeopathy to help.

Troggy

Visit site
Toff reacts to some clipper oil! Just gets a bit lumpy but washing with hibiscrub for a few days gets rid of it. She doesn't react to Poundland cheapy oil though!!
laugh.gif

Irishcobs

Visit site
Yep horse at work gets the exact same thing after his chin is clipped. I have a pic somewhere I'll try to find it. No sure what causes it, but we just wash with hibbisrub everyday, dry and apply a honey and aloe cream which clears it up quite quickly, until we clip again. He loves it getting sratched for him.

annie02

Visit site
Could be from the clippers or maybe he had it before the clippers and now it is more visible? That area can sweat a lot during work if it is hairy, maybe that is what started it and now that you have clipped you can really notice it? Either way I would treat it the same way you are. It should go away in a week or so.

samp

Visit site
Have you got a new rug? I gave my horse a full clip once and put a new rug on the next day alround the rug binding he had a severe allergic reaction with huge pussy lumps. Poor horse had to go unrugged for couple of weeks I felt awful

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
So he reckons its a bacterial dermatitis caused by irritation to the clippers and I am to hibiscrub it (as I have been doing) and use betadine cream to clear it up.

So what we thought really. Thanks for all your suggestions!
grin.gif