Clipper recommendations please

spacie1977

Visit site
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could recommend some decent clippers that won't cost me the earth? I'm hoping to find something for under £200. Am I dreaming?
I have a big horse which I'm guessing I'll need to clip just once a year (for either a trace or hunter clip) so they don't need to be massive chunky super expensive things able to withstand constant use for a whole yard full of horses. But I want something that'll do the job without too much grief. He's got a fine coat but at 17.2 hands will probably end up taking as long to clip as a small mammoth. I gave him a bib clip last year, borrowing a friends cordless Wahl clippers. They were rubbish - took ages and kept having to go over the same patch again and again, and looked identical to my husbands hair clippers. I'm wondering whether they were meant to be used as trimmers more than clippers though and being a clipping virgin I haven't seen any others up close to compare and know the real difference. They were very quiet but as he's laid back about most things I don't think he'd mind if I were using noisy clippers. Are there any clippers anyone could recommend that'll suit my needs? I've seen some by Masterclip and Liveryman advertised, and some by Wahl which are chunkier than what I used before but there are so many different makes and models it's mind boggling.

MrsNorris

Visit site
If you've only the one it may be as well just to pay someone to do it for you and keep your money in the bank for a bit longer. My YM will do a full clip for £30, so when you factor in the cost of blade sharpening, clipper oil, servicing etc as well as buying the things, it may not be worth while. :)

spacie1977

Visit site
Thanks guys :) I think the clippers on your link Pansy are one of them I was looking at. And there's another made by masterclip about £20 cheaper. My YO does clipping for £40 (a bit more than usual because she really hates clipping) so I thought it might make sense to buy some to do it myself as they'd pay for themselves with a few clips. But then again, you may be right Hollybear; might make more sense to hold onto the cash for now. There's certainly enough other things I could be spending it on and sods law, as soon as I've spent it I'm sure they'll be something else I HAVE to splash out on.