clipper recommendations

L

lilym

i need some heavy duty clippers for the coblet! i currentley have whal artiko's and while they are fine for trimming and hogging, they just will not do the whole horse on less than 4 sets of blades, and the cost of sharpening is getting stupid!! so what do you use and why??

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
4 sets of blades for one clip
shocked.gif

It sounds like a bit more agro, but if you wash your horse (and dry it) to get the mud out of the coat first, your blades will stay sharp for longer. The mud is very abrasive and will take the edge off the blades - especially if the soil has flint or other hard rocks under it.

Try using a heavier oil like 3 in 1 to lube the blades first or proper clipping oil, and take the blades apart whilst you do this to make sure that the oil gets onto the mating surfaces of the blades.

Make sure you strip, clean, and re-lube them them properly after clipping after use as well.

Don't soak them in Diesel or similar as this acts as a solvent, will wash any heavy oil away, and also may run into any greased part of the clippers.

The heavier the oil, the better the lubricating properties under load. Gearbox oil in cars is like snot due to the enormous loads which the gears act under.

If you want to clip faster, then get a mains set with more power. Yours are 45 watts, the bigger mains ones I sell start at 110watts and go right up to 400 watts, but to be honest, blade sharpness has nothing to do with the power, that gives you more speed, and they will run a bit cooler.

L

lilym

thanks, she's clean enough, but her coat is something else, it's so coarse even a pro remarked on it when they clipped her last year, the 45 watt motor just struggles a bit on a full clip and that's mains, i use proper clipping oil, and don't soak them in diesel!! i could do with some more speed tbh and if i'm clipping every 3-4 weeks then i may as well invest in my own set, so i don't have to rely on other people.

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
Oh, and another thing, oil the blades at least every 10 minutes, and make sure you get it into the mating surfaces at the sides of the blades and not just on the teeth
wink.gif

I am probably trying to tell you how to suck eggs, but not everyone knows this stuff
smile.gif

I_A_P

Visit site
iv got walmsey (sp) my grandad had some for 30 years and i started using them on the horses with dfferent blades, they went bust as the were worn out, but bought some 2 years ago the swift model and they are fantastic