Clipperman Jewel trimmers for feather - yay or nay?

Fransurrey

Visit site
I want to trim down my cob's feather (and maybe the coat), not completely, but with a grader, just to make grooming easier in the summer. Am very new to clipping. I have a friend's Harmony cordless on load, but can't make out if they're compatible with graders and I'm worried I'll wreck them. The jewel *look* ideal, as they come with a 16 mm grader, but are they too good (cheap) to be true?

Any suggestions or recommendations welcome. He doesn't have masses of feather, but enough to make him a gypsy cob. I've already trimmed them slightly with scissors, to stop them trailing in the mud.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I stupidly forked out £200 for the next size up and they are absolutely awful so on that basis I wouldnt risk it! I use the big clippers to take the hair off and then the trimmers to tidy up. Clippers and trimmers are both Masterclip. I've also got a set of Wahl trimmers that cost me £25 that are brilliant

AFB

Visit site
I have some Clipperman trimmers (not sure which model) and they're terrible. I bought them in the Black Friday sale a couple of years ago, luckily cheap enough to not be too p*ssed off about, but the only thing they're any good for is tidying the bridle path. And even then it takes patience.

The-Bookworm

Visit site
I have Liveryman Harmony Element, fine to do an Irish clip on a summer coat on a cob. However she was clipped back in September so I am going over a grown out clip not a fully shaggy hairy winter one.
I use the wide I think.

ImmyS

Visit site
I used them today to tidy up my cobs face and feathers. He doesn’t have masses of feather but they’re very thick. They did an ok job, but to be honest I have the cheapy eBay ones which I think are better, if just for tidying up face and feathers.

Before

yirAw2W.jpg

After

P547LYi.jpg

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
I have not found any trimmers that can cope with 'proper' cob feathers. All the varieties I have used tend to pull the hair very quickly rather than clip. I use my trimmers for heads and to do second clips - so they essentially just remove the longer guard hairs that grow. If your cob is in any way sensitive with their feathers because of mites or mallenders/sallenders then don't risk making them any more sensitive. I use Lister Star clippers to do a full clip (all hair off to include mane every 10 weeks) on my cobs and even using them you can hear the motor noise change as it cuts through the feathers and the white hairs on the piebald.