Clippers for very hairy horses? Any recommendations, please?!

fuze

Visit site
I know this has been done to death on here, but I'm still baffled. Ideally looking for a set as cheap as possible (before you say it, I know, but the most we're likely to take off is a chaser), the mane and feather will never be touched ;)

Anyone have any recommendations? This is the guy in question... we're talking dense cobby pony fluff...

IMG_20131005_150806_642-1_zps0b6cfd65.jpg

Much appreciated!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I can recommend the Lister Legend and Hauptner 2000 for thick coats. Both have the power to get through dense coats. Use the course blades and they'll give a really neat finish. He's really gorgeous, BTW. excellent feather and a cute nose.

kathantoinette

Visit site
I've got Lister clippers and then bought a set of cattle blades - they'll get through anything! Don't use those blades so much now as the hairy cob I had I have since sold.

fuze

Visit site
He's really gorgeous, BTW. excellent feather and a cute nose.

Thank you :) He knows it too... lol. He only arrived a little over a week ago, but he's sweating just standing still, so I think some of the fluff needs to come off!

I'm not sure whether to just bite the bullet, scrape the pennies and splash out on a proper pair, or would a more basic set be sufficient to just whip neck and belly off?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
He's lovely!

If you can stretch to it, it would probably be best to get a proper pair of clippers that can deal with any future eventualities. I have Heiniger delta 3 speed clippers which are very good, and as others have suggested, I use coarse blades which do a perfectly presentable job.

I planned to grow out the feathers on my maxicob (he was trimmed when I got him) but he suffered from the dreaded feather mites so I am locked into a cycle of de feathering him all year round. That's when you need beefy clippers! A lightweight pair would be fine for just a chaser clip though.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
He is gorgeous. If you're planning to leave him unrugged, a chaser will be fine, but my lad is a H/W coloured cob who is fully clipped all year round because his coat is so thick that he sweats just standing in the field and we struggle with any blades if he's left to get really woolly .
As he's new to you, why not pay someone to do the first clip and see how he goes. Then if he is uncomfortable, you can invest in a good set of clippers rather than have to upgrade later.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I have master clip clippers ai got from ebay brand new with two sets of blades and spares and they were on £69 :)

I clip my dense coated coblet year round whole lot except for mane and tail comes off probably every 8 to 12 weeks :)