Clippers - recommendations please

MagicMelon

Visit site
As above! Or could you tell me at least what I should be looking for (with regard to voltage etc.) - would be for keeping 2/3 horses possibly fully clipped (except legs) through winter.

Marquire

Visit site
My bought a set of Liveryman Stallion Clippers 4 years ago for around £250. I've used them to clip 2 horses 3 times each for the last 4 years and they are fanastic.

They're not too heavy so I can clip the two horses one after the other without my arm feeling like it is going to drop off. And they're are reasonably quiet.

I was told before I bought my clippers to go for something with the highest number of Watts I could afford.

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
As I've decided to start selling clippers, I was up at the Liveryman factory (Eddie Palin) on Friday to collect some of their mains clippers to road test them for appraisal.
They make the Mavericks there, and import the rest of the mains liveryman clippers from Germany (guaranteed quality imo).

As soon as I get the chance to test them, I will be offering my opinion on each one ( I have about 5 different models to play with ATM and they go from 110 watts upwards for the contract clipping )

For sheer blast around 'stop for nothing' power, Mains clippers are excellent and the best solution providing you have access to mains power.
If you haven't, then they can be run off a car battery using an inverter if it is a true 'sine wave' inverter (which is pricey) can be sought, or run them off a generator.

If you want the convenience of the 12 volt cordless types, they are very good if you don't want a trailing lead, but running from a belt pack means that they dont have the oomph of the mains ones. That said the Liveryman Harmony clippers are very lightweight being less than 300 grams and are fully capable of clipping a whole horse, and soon available with a 3 hour belt worn battery pack, as will the Liveryman Maverick which are nice and lightweight as well.

Its a bit like buying a drill, you get a Black and Decker to do the odd job, but if you use it all the time, you invest in a Bosch

Hope this helps a bit

Ta Ash

Sparklet

Visit site
I have Lister Showman clippers which run from a battery. Will clip two horses on one charge and they have a much lower clip noise which i have found is accepted by horses previouly difficult to clip.

I can highly recommend them.

Zebedee

Visit site
Ditto Sparklet. Could never go back to using corded clippers, although I have clipped with the Liveryman & found them to be very pleasing to use both interms of weight & performance.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Thanks guys for the comments. Also, which makes have the easiest parts to buy (if something goes wrong for example) and has the cheaper / best blades? (as Ive seen some which are SO expensive, but it obviously depends on the make).

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
The blades are one part which you shouldn't cut corners on (pardon the pun)

In my grilling of the technical people who deal with all of the guarantee work for the Liveryman clippers, they said that the only problems they have had with the returns was because people had substituted for cheap blades.

What happens is that the motors in the clippers are connected to the blades by a gearbox, and if the blades are not made of a hard enough material, the part of the blade where the shaft slots into wears and then puts undue wear on the gearbox - which buggers up the gears and bearings in the gearbox.

Using cheap blades will invalidate any guarantee offered by any clipper manufacturer for the above reason.

I have worked as an engineer (toolmaker) for over 20 years in both the design side (where I am now) and also on the machines producing the stuff, so I understand what goes on with wear and tear, and accept their concerns with the cheap blades.

you can get them sharpened for a fiver, and if they are made from quality steel, are oiled regularly and not overtensioned, will last for much longer anyway.

Ta Ash