Clippers went BANG!!!!! Lister Laser/Hauptner/other?!

Vickijay

Visit site
It turns out that clippers going bang is rather detrimental to them! I changed the fuse, they started and immediately went bang again so now they are dead. Im not going to get them fixed as I have had them for about 9 years and they did a lot of clipping, so now I need new ones! I sometimes clip a couple at a time, normally no more than 4 in one go, so I do need heavy duty ones.

I think I might leave the liveryman ones out of the mix as mine had to be tinkered with quite a lot over the years, despite having lots of blades for them. Are there any blade compatible clippers?

I did a search on here and saw that the lister laser ones might be a good option, although it was said that they are heavy? Do people agree with this? I saw a post suggesting using Hauptner 3000s but I cant seem to find much info about them...

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance :)

lottiepony

Visit site
I have a pair of Heiniger Handy Clippers and love them. I've had them absolutely years and they still work perfectly. Should cope well with your needs and I don't find them heavy, would be worth googling them to compare weights etc. Plus they do seem nice and quiet (well as quiet as clippers can be!) compared to others.

Booga22

Visit site
I'm going to follow this as my Liveryman Mustang clippers did exactly the same thing on saturday - unfortunately only *after* i'd started clipping and had removed the neck on one side!!!!

foraday

Visit site
http://www.peasridge.co.uk/

Would it not be cheaper to get a new motor from here?

I did that for my lister neons that I've had for like 15 years, they went bang and I got a new motor for 50 I think and I popped it in and it was so easy! I nearly died at the cost of new ones!

Zerotolerance

Visit site
I've got 3 sets of Listers - Laser are heavy but very powerful and clip all day, Legends are lighter and thus easier to use and also have pair of Stablemates from 1987 that are still going strong!
I had the old fashioned heavy Hauptners for years (body same as Laser) and made the mistake of changing them for the new purple ones, which I hated - could never get the blades to tension properly. Sold them and all the Hauptner blades on ebay before I ended up smashing them against the wall in frustration!

Would defo buy Lister again.

Peasridge are great for spare parts and advice!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
My Hauptner 2000's are about 13 years old and still going strong, also have Lister Legends which are really good. Both give an excellent clip.

LadyRascasse

Visit site
I have hauptner 2000's that are 5 years old and still going strong. Only had to change some bushes in that time and they work quite hard each year. I love them they are fairly light and quite and clip well without leaving any tramlines unlike the liverymans I had.

Visit site
Lister Laser for me too. I have 3 sets to use at work. One set I leave as back up back ups as they are the first model and have a heavy metal head on them. My main set are the next generation a d are light enough and they do the majority of the clipping (150-175 horses a season, up to 8 a day) and when they are getting serviced I use the 3-4yo model. Much much lighter and with a longer cable. I would use them more but I like my trusty white ones that I have used for 10years and I dont like change lol

Vickijay

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to go to lister legend ones as I'll clip a couple at a time but not loads :)

I was talking about clippers with my BF, I said "these clippers are the best as I'm only going to clip 3 or 4 at a time" BF said "how does that work? Do you tie them all up next to each other?"

Facepalm ;)

TheEngineer

Visit site
The new Heiniger Xperience clippers are excellent...very powerful and quiet, yet very well balanced. The battery powered Explorer is also a fantastic new machine, both of these possibly the nicest new developments in clipping I have seen in my twenty years in the trade. Well worth a look. IMHO of course.

Vickijay

Visit site
The new Heiniger Xperience clippers are excellent...very powerful and quiet, yet very well balanced. The battery powered Explorer is also a fantastic new machine, both of these possibly the nicest new developments in clipping I have seen in my twenty years in the trade. Well worth a look. IMHO of course.

I read about these. They look really good but I saw some stuff saying they were really hard to get the tension right on the blades?

TheEngineer

Visit site
I read about these. They look really good but I saw some stuff saying they were really hard to get the tension right on the blades?

Tension is a little trickier than others, but when you are used to it,they are a great machine. It also needs to have sharp blades that have been done properly. I am seeing lots of blades this year which have been sharpened very poorly. There is nothing more frustrating than thinking your blades are sharp, when they have been butchered by people I wouldn't let sharpen a bloody pencil.

Vickijay

Visit site
Tension is a little trickier than others, but when you are used to it,they are a great machine. It also needs to have sharp blades that have been done properly. I am seeing lots of blades this year which have been sharpened very poorly. There is nothing more frustrating than thinking your blades are sharp, when they have been butchered by people I wouldn't let sharpen a bloody pencil.

I have had issues with my blades coming back to me and them still being blunt.

Would you recommend a company to send them too?

Also, how many times can you sharpen blades before they need to be binned? I wondered if this was the problem with mine

Wheels

Visit site
I've just bought some heineger xperience, haven't clipped with them yet but have had them switched and they are very quiet and easy to hold.

Shear Ease

www.sheareaseltd.com
For the benefit of at least one person who is following this as their clipper had the same fault.

I would have them looked at. I am almost certain that it only need a new capacitor and fuse. Most have (I can be specific if you reply with your make and model) a dual formation mains filter (or capacitor, for simplicity) to stop the magnetic field (created by the field coil/armature) affecting electronic devices in the vicinity. Run your clipper next to a cheap digital radio and you will hear the signal go funny if the capacitor is faulty. They are self healing, so once they fail, a quick push of the reset button and change of fuse means the clipper will ruin again. The capacitor will be faulty so will need changing anyway. They may keep 'popping' and blowing fuses, in which case it's time to bundle them up and send them off to a clipper repair firm. They can also keep running no problem and then it is up to you if you send them off for repair or not, but at leats you can finish the horse you're on.

New capacitors usually cost £10-£20.

When the expensive armature 'goes' it will not run again. Change of fuse and pushing the reset button will not be enough o get another fraction of a second out of your clipper before repair. A faulty capacitor (as above) doesn't and usually won't stop a clipper running once the fuse has been changed and the reset button pressed.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Wolsey Harriers. Best clippers I've come across in a long time ��

Another vote for Wolseley, they have ben making clippers for years & have various models depending on the amount of clipping you do. I clip probably 5-6 times a year & have the 'Swift' model which is powerful enough for that. I've had them 14 years, they've never let me down. I'm actually considering getting them serviced soon & that'll be the first time.