Clipping Advice required

irishdraft

Visit site
I have a sporting Lucas terrier 3/4 sealyham who I would like to start clipping myself. I took him to the groomers once but the clip was so short he looked awful for months but now his coat needs a sort out. I have been looking at clippers & blades but it seems to be fairly complicated compared to the horses, at the moment his coat is about 3 to 4 inches long and wavy but quite soft ideally I would like him to have about 1 and half inches left on the body and could go shorter on his head which is very curly. Any suggestions for clippers & relevant blades please ?

Greybird

Visit site
I'm pretty sure there are no dog blades that leave the hair that long. You might do better to scissor the coat, or find a groomer who will scissor to the specified length rather than clip.

Bellasophia

Visit site
https://www.google.it/search?q=seal...&hl=en-it&client=safari#imgrc=KhUUTa4y3F9NNM:
If it were my dog and his coat is wire,then I'd strip the body to retain its wire coat, to retain the waterproof ,hard texture of the coat.If you clip a dog like this you will have a soft coat that sheds more often ...
If you do want to clipper him you must buy the best clippers you can afford as this coat will be hard on your clippers and need to be robust.
I strip my little schnauzer every week for just fifteen minutes,,.she has a great wire coat and is really wash and wear...soon easy in the country environment we live in..

PucciNPoni

Visit site
https://www.google.it/search?q=seal...&hl=en-it&client=safari#imgrc=KhUUTa4y3F9NNM:
If it were my dog and his coat is wire,then I'd strip the body to retain its wire coat, to retain the waterproof ,hard texture of the coat.If you clip a dog like this you will have a soft coat that sheds more often ...
If you do want to clipper him you must buy the best clippers you can afford as this coat will be hard on your clippers and need to be robust.
I strip my little schnauzer every week for just fifteen minutes,,.she has a great wire coat and is really wash and wear...soon easy in the country environment we live in..

I'd be inclined to agree with handstripping if the coat is suitable, but if the dog is neutered or maybe soft coated naturally it may not be possible. BUt then you can't really dictate how long the coat will be with stripping as you're stripping hair out to the root and what's left is undercoat.

I'd suggest trying to find some long comb attachments if you really want to clip that long. Laube (in the US) do them in long sizes - up to 2 inches (maybe more, but I never use any that long - longest I have is 1 inch). But you'd need a clipper with A5 style snap on blade - you'll need a 30 blade to go under the comb attachment. However I do warn you that the coat must be meticulously prepared in order for the comb attachments to work, they will not go through matted coats. So it means you must thoroughly comb and brush out all tangles (if there are any) from the skin all the way down. Coat should be washed and blow dried if possible, and then go for it.

irishdraft

Visit site
ok thank you for replies, i was looking at the comb attachments as a possible way to go, I dont think I would be happy to strip the coat, its quite soft and dosent appear to have an undercoat, its similar to lambswool but I am a complete novice in the grooming of dogs

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
ive got a 2 and a 2 f which leave about an inch on. the skip tooth is useful as the initial clip.. And then I use the standard 2 to clip it all the same length. I only use the 2 &2 F when I am wanting a quick clip. If I am trimming him correctly ( bedlington) i scissor trim the legs rather than use the clippers. the rest of his body is a 3 or 5 depending on whether or not I am showing him and then a 10 on his neck, ears and tail. I found the comb attachments just didnt work for his fur. But the snap on blades in a 2 worked just fine

PucciNPoni

Visit site
ive got a 2 and a 2 f which leave about an inch on. the skip tooth is useful as the initial clip.. And then I use the standard 2 to clip it all the same length. I only use the 2 &2 F when I am wanting a quick clip. If I am trimming him correctly ( bedlington) i scissor trim the legs rather than use the clippers. the rest of his body is a 3 or 5 depending on whether or not I am showing him and then a 10 on his neck, ears and tail. I found the comb attachments just didnt work for his fur. But the snap on blades in a 2 worked just fine

2F is actually about 16mm which is just more than 1/2 inch. I never get on with a 2, find they never leave a good finish. Combs are tricky with beddie coats, but surprised you can work a 2 as I find them even harder! But you obviously have found a knack for it. You want my 2f sitting in the drawer? LOL

You do make a very good point though, about scissoring. If the OP learns to scissor (start with blending shears) you may find that you get the desired result better than clipping. It takes a bit of time and patience to master, but usually well worth it. Clipping is a time saver though. But which ever method you go for just remember that coat preparation is absolutely key.